Transport of ions of one kind through thin membranes
- 111 Downloads
The equation for steady-state movement of ions of one kind through planar membranes has been solved. Numerical results are given, as well as profiles of potential, field and concentration. For small deviations from the equilibrium potential, an essentially constant intrinsic membrane conductance is obtained, which can be calculated from equilibrium properties. For larger deviations from equilibrium, the intrinsic membrane conductance is still essentially constant for symmetrical interfacial concentrations of the permeable ion, but varies significantly with potential for asymmetric interfacial concentrations, especially if these concentrations are small. In the latter case, one can often use the constant field approximation, for which explicit expressions are presented.
KeywordsSmall Deviation Human Physiology Explicit Expression Field Approximation Equilibrium Potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- de Levie, R., Moreira, H. 1972. Transport of ions of one kind through thin membranes. I. General and equilibrium considerations.J. Membrane Biol. 9:241.Google Scholar
- LeBlanc, O. H., Jr. 1971. The effect of uncouplers of oxidative phosphorylation on lipid bilayer membranes: Carbonylcyanidem-chlorophenylhydrazone.J. Membrane Biol. 4:227.Google Scholar
- Mott, N. F. 1939. The theory of crystal rectifiers.Proc. Roy. Soc. (London) A171:27.Google Scholar
- Neumcke, B., Läuger, P. 1970. Space charge-limited conductance in lipid bilayer membranes.J. Membrane Biol. 3:54.Google Scholar
- Sinharay, N., Meltzer, B. 1964. Characteristics of insulator diodes determined by space charge and diffusion.Solid-State Electron.7:125.Google Scholar
- Skinner, S. M. 1955. Diffusion, static charges, and the conductance of electricity in nonmetallic solids by a single charge carrier. II. Solution of the rectifier equations for insulating layers.J. Appl. Physiol. 26:509.Google Scholar
- Teorell, T. 1953. Transport processes and electrical phenomena in ionic membranes.Prog. Biophys. Biophys. Chem. 3:305.Google Scholar
- Wright, G. T. 1961. Mechanisms of space-charge-limited current in solids.Solid-State Electron. 2:165.Google Scholar