Enforcement of mitigation measures resulting from environmental impact assessment
- 137 Downloads
Until recently, relatively little attention has been paid to the problem of enforcing mitigation measures identified in environmental impact assessment. Present or proposed enforcement systems in the USA, New South Wales, South Australia, and Western Australia are described and discussed. Although the best enforcement system would depend on the local social, political, and legal systems, five universally desirable features are identified. First, a comprehensive coordinated monitoring and reassessment system is needed. Second, the agencies concerned must have adequate resources to do the work and incentives to carry it out well. Third, there must be the necessary legal powers. Fourth, provision must be made for changing the conditions based on experience. And fifth, the system should be equally effective against private companies and public authorities.
Key wordsEnvironmental impact assessment Environmental management Mitigation measures Enforcement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bramble, B. 1980. Council on Environmental Quality. Pers. Comm.Google Scholar
- Caldwell, L. K. 1978. The Environmental Impact Statement: A Misused Tool. Pages 11–25 in R. K. Jain and B. L. Hutchings, Environmental Impact Analysis; Emerging Issues in Planning, University of Illinois Press, Urbana, IL.Google Scholar
- Council on Environment Quality. 1978. Regulations for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act. Reprint 43 FR 55978–56007,44 pp.Google Scholar
- Department of Conservation and Environment. 1978. Procedures for Environmental Assessment of Proposals in Western Australia. Bulletin 38, 11 pp., Perth, Western Australia.Google Scholar
- Elenias, E. 1980. Environment Centre, Sydney. Pers. Comm. Environment Protection (Assessment) Bill. 1979. Govt. Printer, South Australia, 9 pp.Google Scholar
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Act. 1979. Govt. Printer, Sydney, New South Wales, 137 pp.Google Scholar
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation. 1980. New South Wales Government Gazette, 29 August, Schedule 3, pp. 4479–4480.Google Scholar
- Environmental Protection Act. 1971–80. Govt. Printer, Perth, Western Australia, 52 pp.Google Scholar
- Hollick, M. 1981. Report and Recommendations on Environmental Impact Assessment Procedures in Western Australia.Google Scholar
- Hort, L. and Mobbs, M. 1979. Outline of N.S.W. Environmental and Planning Law. 142 p., Sydney, New South Wales, Butterworths.Google Scholar
- Uranium (Yeelirrie) Agreement Act. 1978. Govt. Printer, Perth, Western Australia, Section 12.Google Scholar