Influence of dietary purines on pool size, turnover, and excretion of uric acid during balance conditions
- 57 Downloads
Pool size, turnover, and excretion of uric acid were investigated in three normal subjects both during purine-free, isoenergetic liquid formula diet and during additional purine administration by use of isotope dilution techniques. The fractional turnover of the uric acid pool was increased during dietary purine administration suggesting an increased total body uric acid clearance as a result of the increase in renal clearance. Fractional turnover increased more in the female subject than in males, while pool size was increased less. It can be calculated from the results obtained that endogenous uric acid synthesis is not inhibited by dietary purines.
Key wordsUric acid, pool size, turnover, excretion Dietary purines Isotope dilution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowering J, Calloway DH, Margen S, Kaufmann NA (1969) Dietary protein level and uric acid metabolism in normal man. J Nutr 100:249–261Google Scholar
- Chasson AL, Grady HJ, Stanley MA (1961) Determination of creatinine by means of automatic chemical analysis. Am J Clin Pathol 35:83–88Google Scholar
- Folin O (1922) Laboratory manual of biological chemistry. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Geren W, Bendich A, Bodansky O, Brown GB (1950) The fate of uric acid in man. J Biol Chem 183:21–31Google Scholar
- Löffler W, Gröbner W, Zöllner N (1981) Nutrition and uric acid metabolism: plasma level, turnover, excretion. Fortschr Urol Nephrol 16:8–18Google Scholar
- Ross J, Martin E (1970) A rapid procedure for preparing gas samples for nitrogen-15 determination. Analyst 95:817–821Google Scholar
- Sorensen LB (1960) The elemination of uric acid in man studied by means of C14-labelled uric acid. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 12: Suppl 54Google Scholar
- Sorensen LB (1962) The pathogenesis of gout. Arch Int Med 109:379–390Google Scholar
- Zöllner N (1960) Moderne Gichtprobleme. Ätiologie, Pathogenese, Klinik. Ergeb Inn Med Kinderheilk 14:321–389Google Scholar
- Zöllner N (1963) Eine einfache Modifikation der enzymatischen Harnsäurebestimmung. Z Klin Chem Klin Biochem 1:178–182Google Scholar
- Zöllner N, Griebsch A, Gröbner W (1972) Einfluß verschiedener Purine auf den Harnsäurestoffwechsel. Ernährungsumschau 3:79–82Google Scholar