Immunopathological lymph node findings in Hodgkin's disease correlation to survival
- 8 Downloads
217 diagnostic lymph nodes biopsies from cases of Hodgkin's disease were classified according to the criteria established by the Rye Conference. These were later subdivided into survival groups using immunopathological parameters solely. In the light of findings based upon 63 cases whose progress has been followed, it appears that the classification of Hodgkin's disease according to immunopathological parameters may serve to eliminate many of the inconsistencies encountered with the utilization of classical procedures, especially in the correlation between histopathological analysis and prognosis.
The new classification consists of three groups:
Long survivals (>5 years): extensive lymph node preservation of antibody mediated (average ~ 65%) and cell mediated (average ~ 37%) immunity, and/or a nodular birefringent fibrosis-hyalinosis. - - - (15,9%)
Medium survivals (≤ 5 > 2 years): partial lymph nodes preservation of antibody mediated (average ~ 42%) and/or cell mediated (average ~ 17%) immunity, and/or numerous epithelioid cell infiltrates in paracortical areas. (42,9%)
Short survivals (≤ 2 years): minimal lymph node antibody mediated (average ~ 7%) and cell mediated (average ~ 1%) immunological activity, no epithelioid cell infiltrates and no birefringent fibrosis-hyalinosis. - - - (41,2%)
Key wordsHodgkin's disease Lymph nodes Pathology Immunopathology Diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- MISSMAHL, H.P.: Amiloidosi.In: MIESHER, P.A. and MÜLLER-EBERHARD, H.J. (Eds.): Trattato di Immunopatologia. Roma: Il Pensiero Scientifico 1970Google Scholar
- NELSON, D.S.: Macrophages and immunity. Amsterdam-London: North Holland Publishing Company 1969Google Scholar
- ROBB-SMITH, A.H.T.: The functional significance of connective tissue.In: FLOREY, H.W. (Ed.): General Pathology. 4th ed. London: Lloyd-Luke Ltd. 1970Google Scholar
- ROMHANYI, F.: Virchows Arch. Path. Anat.354 209–222 (1971)Google Scholar
- SPECTOR, W.C.: Adv. Exp. Path.8 1–55 (1970)Google Scholar