Adjunctive treatment for recurrent childhood ependymoma of the IV ventricle: chemotherapy with CDDP and MCNU
The prognosis of recurrent IV-ventricle ependymoma in children is poor. Three cases of recurrent ependymoma were treated with combination chemotherapy usingcis-diamine dichloro platinum (II) (CDDP) and methyl-6-(3-(2-chloroethyl)-3-nitrosoureido)-6-deoxy-α-d-glucopyranoside (MCNU). The patients were 2-, 3-, and 6-year-old boys. The interval between the first operation with irradiation and recurrence was 1 year and 5 months to 2 years. Two cases showed a recurrence at the original site; in the other case, a right sylvian tumor deposit was found via computed tomography. The therapeutic regimen for recurrnt ependymomas was as follows: (1) the tumor was debulked if possible; (2) additional local irradiation of 30 Gy was administered; (3) combined treatment of 100 mg/m2 CDDP and 80 mg/m2 MCNU over 24 h was given 5 times with an interval of 6 weeks between treatments. The patients tolerated the therapy well with only mild side effects. Remission lasted 1 year in two patients and has lasted for 8 months in one.
Key wordsCisplatin MCNU Chemotherapy Ependymoma Children
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Harada K, Okamoto H, Fujioka Y, Uozumi T, Kiya K, Kitaoka T, Goishi A, Sasaki U, Shima T, Inagawa T, Kodama Y, Kuwabara S, Yoshimoto H, Nishimura S, Yamane K, Ohta N (1985) Clinical trial of MCNU to malignant brain tumors (in Japanese). Jpn J Cancer Chemother 12:1423–1431Google Scholar
- 7.Matson DD (1969) Neurosurgery of infancy and childhood, 2nd edn. Thomas, Springfield, IIIGoogle Scholar
- 8.Oi S, Raimondi AJ (1980) Brain tumors in infants and children. Factors affecting prognosis. I. Ependymoma (in Japanese). Neurol Surg 8:1049–1055Google Scholar
- 11.Wakabayashi T, Yoshida J, Kito A, Inoue I, Kobayashi T, Kageyama N (1984) Effect of MCNU on brain tumors. II. Clinical experience with MCNU on malignant brain tumors (in Japanese). Jpn J Cancer Chemother 11:2729–2737Google Scholar
- 14.Zülch KJ (1979) Histological typing of tumors of the central nervous system. World Health Organization, GenevaGoogle Scholar