Hemoglobin and serum ferritin levels in mothers and infants at birth
Hemoglobin levels and serum ferritin concentrations were measured in cord blood and maternal blood taken a few hours before birth. Maternal serum ferritin levels were 29.1±18.6 μg/l which is lower than values given for normal adult women. Serum ferritin levels in cord blood were 144.4±73.2 μg/l which is higher than levels in normal adult men. No correlation was found between newborn hemoglobin and serum ferritin levels, or between newborn birth weight and serum ferritin levels.
Key wordsCord blood Ferritin Hemoglobin Maternal Newborn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Addison, G. M., Beamish, M. R., Hales, C. N., Hodgkins, M., Jacobs, A., Lleewellin, P.: An immunoradiometric assay for ferritin in the serum of normal subjects and patients with iron deficiency and iron overload. J. Clin. Path.25, 326–329 (1972)Google Scholar
- 2.Hussain, M. A. M., Gaafer, T. H., Laulicht, M., Hoffbrand, A. V.: Relation of maternal and cord blood serum ferritin. Arch. Dis. Child.52, 782–784 (1977)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobs, A.: Serum ferritin and iron stores. Fed. Proc.36, 2024–2027 (1977)Google Scholar
- 4.Jacobs, A., Miller, F., Worwood, M., Beamish, M. R., Wardrop, C. A.: Ferritin in the serum of normal subjects and patients with iron deficiency and iron overload. Brit. Med. J.1972 IV, 206–208Google Scholar
- 5.Lundström, U., Siimes, M. A., Dallman, P. R.: At what age does iron supplementation become necessary in low-birth-weight infants? J. Pediatr.91, 878–883 (1977)Google Scholar
- 6.Saarinen, U. M., Siimes, M. A.: Serum ferritin in assessment of iron nutrition in healthy infants. Acta Paediatr. Scand.67, 745–751 (1978)Google Scholar
- 7.Siimes, M. A., Addiego, J. E., Dallman, P. R.: Ferritin in serum: Diagnosis of iron deficiency and iron overload in infants and children. Blood43, 581–590 (1974)Google Scholar
- 8.Smith, C. A.: The physiology of the newborn infant, 3rd ed., pp. 303–306. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas 1959Google Scholar
- 9.Van Eijk, H. G., Kroos, M. J., Hoogendoorn, G. A., Wallenburg, H. C. S.: Serum ferritin and iron stores during pregnancy. Clin. Chim. Acta83, 81–91 (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Walters, G. O., Miller, F. M., Worwood, M.: Serum ferritin concentrations and iron stores in normal subjects. J. Clin. Path.26, 770–772 (1973)Google Scholar