Spanish population data on 7 tetrameric short tandem repeat loci
Allele and genotype frequencies for 7 tetramerie short tandem repeat loci were determined in a Spanish population sample (N = 186–244) using PCR and subsequent analysis of the PCR products by denaturing polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis followed by silver staining. The loci were HUMFES/FPS, HUMVWA, HUMTHOI, HUMF13B, HUMCSFIPO, HUMF13A1 and HUMTPOX and all loci met Hardy-Weinberg expectations. In addition, little evidence was found for association of alleles among the 7 loci. Thus the allele frequency data can be used in identity testing to estimate the frequency of a multiple PCR-based DNA profile in the Spanish population.
Key wordsPCR STR HUMFES/FPS HUMVWA HUMTHO1 HUMF13B HUMCSF1PO HUMF13A1 HUMTPOX Population genetics Spain HardyWeinberg equilibrium Linkage equilibrium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Polymeropoulos MH, Rath DS, Xiao H, Merril CR (1991) Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human c-fes/fps proto-oncogene (FES). Nucleic Acids Res 19:4018Google Scholar
- 9.Kimpton CP, Walton A, Gill P (1992) A further tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism in the vWF gene. Hum Mol Genet 1:287Google Scholar
- 10.Nishimura DY, Murray JC (1992) A tetranucleotide repeat for the F13B locus. Nucleic Acids Res 20:1167Google Scholar
- 11.Polymeropoulos MH, Rath DS, Xiao H, Merril CR (1991) Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human coagulation factor XIII A subunit gene (F13A1). Nucleic Acids Res 19:4306Google Scholar
- 13.Urquhart A, Kimpton CP, Downes TJ, Gill P (1994) Variation in short tandem repeat sequences: a survey of twelve microsatellite loci for use as forensic identification markers. Int J Leg Med 107:13–20Google Scholar
- 16.DNA recommendations (1994) Report concerning further recommendations of the DNA commission of the ISFH regarding PCR-based polymorphisms in STR (short tandem repeat) systems. Int J Legal Med 107: 159–160Google Scholar
- 18.Chakraborty R, Fornge M, Guegue R, Boerwinkle E (1991) Population genetics of hypervariable loci: analysis of PCRbased VNTR polymorphism within a population. In: Burke T, Dolf G, Jeffreys AJ, WolffR (eds) DNA fingerprinting: approaches and applications. Birkhauser, Berlin, pp 127–143Google Scholar
- 20.Nei M (1978) Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583–590Google Scholar
- 24.Brown AHD, Feldman MW, Nevo E (1980) Multilocus structure of natural populations of Hordeum Spontaneum. Genetics 96:523–536Google Scholar
- 27.Puers C, Hammond HA, Jin L, Caskey CT, Schumm JW (1993) Identification of repeat sequence heterogeneity at the polymorphic short tandem repeat locus HUMTHO1 [AATG]n and reassignment of alleles in population analysis by using a locus-specific allelic ladder. Am J Hum Genet 53:953–958PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Weir BS (1990) Multiple tests. In: Genetic data analysis. Sinauer Associate, Sunderland, Mass, pp 109–110Google Scholar