Proximal clipping of dissecting intracranial vertebral aneurysm — effect of balloon Matas test with neurophysiological monitoring
- 36 Downloads
A case of repeated subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH) caused by rupture of a dissecting intracranial vertebral aneurysm is reported. The clinical manifestations, angiographic findings, pre-operative assessment with neurophysiological monitoring, and surgery are presented. A review of the literature suggests that this type of intracranial aneurysm is being recognized with increasing frequency in SAH and fatality, and therefore exploration and treatment of vertebrobasilar (V-B) dissecting aneurysms is necessary. We emphasize that a balloon Matas test with monitoring of somatosensory evoked potentials (SEP), auditory brain stem responses (ABR), and its wedge pressure in occluding the vertebral artery before operation are objective assessments of treatment for dissecting intracranial vertebral aneurysm.
KeywordsDissecting aneurysm vertebral aneurysm subarachnoid haemorrhage somatosensory evoked potentials auditory brain stem responses
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Hunter J (1839) The Works of John Hunter. JF Palmer (ed), vol 3. Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, London, pp 594–612Google Scholar
- 19.Pessin MS, Chimowitz MI, Levine SRet al (1989) Stroke in patients with fusiform vertebrobasilar aneurysms. Neurology (United States) 39(1), 16–21Google Scholar
- 21.Ramsey TL, Mosqiera VT (1948) Dissecting aneurysm of the middle cerebral artery. Ohio State Med J 44: 168–170Google Scholar
- 22.Scholefield BG (1924) A case of aneurysm of the basilar artery. Guys Hosp Rep 74: 485–487Google Scholar
- 26.Symon L, Momma F, Schwerdtfeger Ket al (1986) Evoked potential monitoring neurosurgical practice. In: Symon Let al (eds) Advances and technical standards in neurosurgery, vol 14. Springer, Wien New York, pp 25–70Google Scholar
- 27.Turnbull HM (1915) Alterations in arterial structure, and their relation to syphilis. Q J Med 8: 201–254Google Scholar
- 30.Yamaura A, Makino H (1984) Long-term follow-up study of proximal clip occlusion and coating for fusiform aneurysms of the vertebral artery. Nou Sochuu No Geka Kenkyukai 13: 72–76Google Scholar