On the lower hull of convex functions
Now letX be a real linear space. A setG ⊂ X is calledalgebraically open if for everyx ∈ G andy ∈ X there exists anε = ε(x, y) > 0 such thatx + λy ∈ G for λ ∈(−ε, ε). The family ℱ (X) of all algebraically open subsets ofX is a topology inX, which, however, is not linear (unless dimX = 1). For any functionf: D →[− ∞, ∞) thealgebraic lower hull m f * :D →[− ∞, ∞) is defined asm f * =m f|ℱ(x) . Again, ifD is convex and open andf isJ-convex, then the functionm f * is convex and continuous with respect to the topology ℱ(X).
IfX is a real linear topological space,D ⊂ X is convex and open, andf: D →[− ∞, ∞) is an arbitrary function, then bothm f andm f * are well defined inD. We always havem f ⩽ m f * ⩽ f; moreover,m f * =f wheneverf is convex, andm f * =m f wheneverf isJ-convex and dimX is finite, but in general neither of these equalities holds.
A number of related questions are also discussed. In particular, it is shown that, ifX is a real linear topological space,D ⊂ X is convex and open, andf: D →[− ∞, ∞) is aJ-convex function which is lower semicontinuous at every point of a setS ⊂ D containing a second category Baire subset, thenf is convex and continuous.
AMS (1980) subject classificationPrimary 26A51 Secondary 39C05
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barbu, V. and Precupanu, Th.,Convexity and optimization in Banach spaces. Editura Academiei Bucureşti, and Sijthoff & Nordhoff International Publishers, Alphen aan den Rijn, 1978.Google Scholar
- Kominek, B. andKominek, Z.,On some set classes connected with the continuity of additive and Q-convex functions. Prace Nauk. Uniw. Śląsk.8 (1978), 60–63.Google Scholar
- Kominek, Z.,On the continuity of Q-convex and additive functions. Aequationes Math.23 (1981), 146–150.Google Scholar
- Kominek, Z.,On additive and convex functionals. Rad. Mat.3 (1987), 267–279.Google Scholar
- Kuczma, M.,An introduction to the theory of functional equation and inequalities. Cauchy's equation and Jensen's inequality. PWN, Warszawa—Kraków—Katowice, 1985.Google Scholar
- Kuczma, M.,On some analogies between measure and category and their applications in the theory of additive functions. Ann. Math. Sil.1 (1985), 155–162.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, N.,A note on t-convex functions. In General Inequalities 4 [Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on General Inequalities held in the Mathematical Institute at Oberwolfach, Black Forest, May 8–14, 1983]. Edited by W. Walter, International Ser. Numer. Math. 71. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel—Stuttgart, 1984, pp. 269–276.Google Scholar
- Kuratowski, K. Topologie, Vol. I. PWN, Warszawa, 1958.Google Scholar
- Mehdi, M. R.,On convex functions. J. London Math. Soc.39 (1964), 321–326.Google Scholar
- Roberts, A. W. andVarberg, D. E.,Convex functions. Academic Press, New York—London, 1973.Google Scholar
- Valentine, F. A.,Convex sets. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York—San Francisco—Toronto—London, 1964.Google Scholar