The pharmacokinetics of a slow-release theophylline preparation in horses after intravenous and oral administration
- 41 Downloads
The pharmacokinetics of a slow-release theophylline formulation was investigated following intravenous and oral administration at 10 mg/kg in horses. A tricompartmental model was selected to describe the intravenous plasma profile. The elimination half-life (t1/2β) was 16.91 ± 0.93 h, the apparent volume of distribution (Vd) was 1.35 ± 0.18 L/kg and the body clearance (ClB) was 0.061 ± 0.009 L kg−1 h. After oral administration the half-life of absorption was 1.24 ± 0.30 h, and the calculated bioavailability was above 100%. Thet1/2β after oral administration was 18.51 ± 1.75 h, only a little longer than that after intravenous administration. The slow release formulation did not exhibit any advantage in prolonging thet1/2β of theophylline in the horse.
Keywordshorses pharmacokinetics slow release formulation theophylline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akaike, H., 1976. An information criterion (AIC).Mathematical Science,14, 5–9Google Scholar
- Beech, H., 1979. Principles of therapy.Veterinary Clinics of North America. Large Animals Practice,1, 73–88Google Scholar
- Davis, L.E., 1980. Applied pharmacodynamics of digitalis, theophylline, diuretics and selected antiarrythmics drugs. In: R.W. Kirk (ed),Current Veterinary Therapy VII. Small Animal Practice, (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia), 352–359Google Scholar
- Derksen, F.J., 1983. Chronic airway disease. In: E. Robinson (ed),Current Therapy in Equine Medicine, (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia), 509Google Scholar
- Nelder, J. and Mead, R., 1965. A simplex method for function minimization.Computers Journal,4, 300–313Google Scholar
- Pollock, J., Kiechel, F., Cooper, D. and Weinberger, M., 1977. Relationship of serum theophylline concentration to inhibition of exercise induced bronchospasm and comparison with chromolyn.Pediatrics Springfield,60, 840–844Google Scholar
- Rall, T.W., 1980. The xanthines. In: A.G. Gilman, L.S. Goodman and A. Gilman (eds),The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 6th edn, (McMillan, New York), 592–607Google Scholar
- Wade, A., 1977. InMartindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 27th edn, (Pharmaceutical Press, London)Google Scholar
- Wagner, J.G., 1983.Farmacocinética Clínica, (Reverté, Barcelona, Spain), 175–232Google Scholar
- Ziment, I., 1978. Phosphodiesterase inhibitors.Respiratory Pharmacology and Therapeutics, (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia), 190–207Google Scholar