Definitizable hermitian matrix pencils
- 58 Downloads
An hermitian matrix pencilλA − B withA nonsingular is called strongly definitizable ifAp(A−1B) is positive definite for some polynomialp. We present three characterizations of strongly definitizable pencils, which generalize the classical results for definite pencils. They are, in particular, stably simultaneously diagonable. We also discuss this form of stability with respect to an open subset of the real line. Implications for some quadratic eigenvalue problems are included.
AMS (1980) subject classificationPrimary 15A18m, 15A57
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BLM]Barkwell, L., Lancaster, P. andMarkus, A. S.,Gyroscopically stabilized systems: a class of quadratic eigenvalue problems with real spectrum, to appear in Canad. J. Math.Google Scholar
- [GLR]Gohberg, I., Lancaster, P. andRodman, L.,Matrices and indefinite scalar products. Birkhäuser, Basel, 1983.Google Scholar
- [L]Langer, H.,Spectral functions of definitizable operators in Krein spaces. [Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 948.] Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1981, pp. 1–46.Google Scholar
- [LY1]Lancaster, P. andYe, Q.,Variational properties and Rayleigh quotient algorithms for symmetric matrix pencils, Operator Theory: Advances and Applications, vol. 40, Birkhauser, Basel, 1989, pp. 247–278.Google Scholar
- [O1]Ostrowski, A.,Über Eigenwerte von Produkten Hermitischer Matrizen. Abh. Math. Sem. Univ. Hamburg23 (1959), 60–68.Google Scholar
- [Rod]Rodman, L.,Hermitian matrix polynomials. InCurrent trends in matrix theory (ed. F. Uhlig, R. Grone), North-Holland, 1987, pp. 305–329.Google Scholar
- [Ros]Roseau, M.,Vibrations in mechanical systems. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Y]Ye, Q.,Variational principles and numerical algorithms for symmetric matrix pencils. Ph.D. thesis, University of Calgary, 1989.Google Scholar