Prednimustine in combination with methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil in advanced breast cancer: A phase I–II study
- 17 Downloads
Forty-seven patients with advanced breast cancer were treated with a combination of prednimustine (P), methotrexate (M), 5-fluorouracil (F), and tamoxifen (TAM). Twenty-six patients received P, 80 mg/m2 day 1–5 (series I) and 21 patients received P, 100 mg/m2 day 1–5 (series II). Both series of patients received M, 40 mg/m2 day 1 and 8 and F, 600 mg/m2 day 1 and 8 with a cycle duration of 4 weeks. All patients received TAM 20 mg twice daily. As concerns the haematologic toxicity, WBC were depressed significantly more often than platelet counts, and during the first 3 cycles 70% of the patients had a WBC nadir corresponding to toxicity grade II or more. No signs of cumulative haematologic toxicity were observed. Nausea and vomiting were registered in 40 out of 47 patients but in 35 of these only of grade I–II. Only one patient developed alopecia requiring a wig. The response to treatment could be evaluated in 28 patients, 21 of whom experienced response (CR or PR) of a median duration of 13 months.
In conclusion, it seems that prednimustine can be safely used in combination with methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil. The frequency of alopecia is definitely lower than with CMF. Whether this relates also to subjective side effects will require a randomized study, as will a final conclusion concerning the efficacy compared to that of CMF.
Keywordsbreast cancer clinical trials prednimustine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fredholm B, Gunnarsson K, Jensen G, Müntzing J: Mammary tumor inhibition and subacute toxicity in rats of prednimustine and its molecular components chlorambucil and prednisolone. Acta Pharmacol et Toxicol 42:159–163, 1978Google Scholar
- 9.Clinical Screening Cooperative Group of EORTC: A phase II clinical trial of prednimustine. Biomed 27:158–161, 1977Google Scholar
- 10.Løber J, Mouridsen HT, Christiansen IE, Dombernowsky P, Mattsson W, RØrth M: A phase III trial comparing prednimustine (Leo 1031) to chlorambucil plus prednisolone in advanced breast cancer. Cancer: in pressGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rozencweig M, Heuson JC, von Hoff DD, Mattheiem WH, Davis HL, Muggia FM: Breast cancer.In MJ Staquet (ed). Randomized Trials in Cancer. A Critical Review by Sites. Raven Press, New York, 1978 pp 231–272Google Scholar
- 13.Mouridsen HT, Palshof T, Engelsman E, Sylvester R: CMF versus CMF plus tamoxifen in advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women. An EORTC trial. Eur J Cancer Suppl:119–123, 1980Google Scholar
- 14.Cocconi G, Leasi BD, Boni C, Mori P: Chemotherapy versus combination of chemotherapy and endocrine therapy in advanced breast cancer. A prospective randomized study. UICC Conf Clin Oncol Breast Cancer Abstr: 03–0141, 1981Google Scholar
- 15.WHO handbook for reporting results of cancer treatment. WHO Offset Publication No. 48, Geneva, 1979Google Scholar