Evaluation of Blalock-Taussig shunts in newborns: value of oblique MRI planes
Eight infants with systemic-pulmonary Blalock-Taussig shunts were evaluated by spin-echo ECG-gated MRI. Contrary to Echocardiography, MRI using coronal oblique projections successfully visualized all palliative shunts entirely in one single plane (including one carried out on a right aberrant subclavian artery). MRI allowed assessment of size, course and patency of the shunt, including pulmonary and subclavian insertion. The proximal portion of the pulmonary and subclavian arteries were also visualized. We conclude that MRI with axial scans completed by coronal oblique planes is a promising, non invasive method for imaging the anatomical features of Blalock-Taussig shunts.
Key wordsnewborns MRI congenital heart disease systemic shunts oblique views
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jacobstein MD, Flechter BD, Nelson AD, Riemenscheiden TA, Alfidi RJ. MRI: evaluation of palliative systemic pulmonary shunts. Circulation 1984; 70: 650–656.Google Scholar
- 2.Didier D, Higgins CB, Fischer MR, Osaki L, Silberman NH, Cheitlin MD. Congenital heart disease: gated MR imaging in 72 patients. Radiology 1986; 158: 227–235.Google Scholar
- 3.Reed JR, Soulen RL. Cardiovascular MRI: current role in patients management. Radiol Clin North Am 1988; 38: 261–264.Google Scholar
- 4.Katz ME, Glaser HS, Siegel MJ, Gutierrez F, Levitt RG, Lee JK. Mediastinal vessels: postoperative evaluation with MRI. Radiology 1986; 161: 647–651.Google Scholar
- 5.Chung KJ, Simpson IA, Newman R, Sahn DJ, Sherman FS, Hesselink JR. Cine MRI for evaluation of congenital heart disease: role in pediatric cardiology compared with echocardiography and angiography. J Pediatr 1989; 113: 1028–1035.Google Scholar
- 6.Livolsi A, Kastler B, Willard D. Etude pré- et post-opératoire d'une transposition des gros vaisseaux en période néonatale par l'IRM. Ann Cardiol Angéiol 1989; 38: 261–264.Google Scholar
- 7.Kastler B, Livolsi A, Willard D, Wackenheim A. MRI in the pre- and post-surgical evaluation of congenital heart disease in newborns. RSNA 75th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting 1989, Chicago. Radiology 1989; 173: 35.Google Scholar
- 8.Dinsmore RE, Wismer GL, Okada RD, Brady TJ. MRI of the heart: positoning and gradient angle selection for AJR 1984; 143: 1135–1142.Google Scholar
- 9.Kastler B, Livolsi A, Zhu H, Roy E, Zöllner G, Dietemann JL. Potential role of MR Imaging in the diagnosis management of Ebstein anomaly in a newborn. J. Comput. Assit. Tomogr. 1990; 14: 825–827.Google Scholar
- 10.Kastler B, Livolsi A, Germain P. Strip scanning and averaging a method to improve pediatric cardiovascular MRI. SMRI Annual Meeting April 1991, JMRI 1991, 2.Google Scholar
- 11.Kastler B, Livolsi A, Germain P, Zöllner G, Willard D, Wackenheim A. MRI in congenital heart disease of newborns: preliminary results in 23 patients. Europ J Rad 1990; 10: 109–117.Google Scholar
- 12.Underwood SR, Firmin on Klipstein RH et al. Magnetic resonance velocity mapping: clinical application of a new technique. Br Heart J 1987; 57: 404–412.Google Scholar