Does Dyspnoea during dipyridamole cardiac stress testing indicate bronchospasm and is the pretest clinical history predictive of this side-effect?
- 28 Downloads
This study investigates the acute effects of intravenous dipyridamole (0.7 mg/kg) on pulmonary airflow in relation to clinical paramaters suggestive of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in order to assess predictive and causative factors of dyspnoea during cardiac stress testing. Mild pulmonary airflow obstruction was noted in all patients, but reached statistical significance only in small airways (FEF75–85%: −7%;P=0.034). The changes in pulmonary function parameters were independent of the clinical history. Dyspnoea under dipyridamole stress testing occurred in parallel with angina, yet was not associated with ischaemic or non-ischaemic left ventricular dysfunction. These data do not support the use of dipyridamole stress testing in asthmatics, but show that (1) the acute effects of a diagnostic dose of dipyridamole on pulmonary airflow are mild even in patients with a history suggestive of COPD and (2) dyspnoea during dipyridamole testing is not necessarily indicative of bronchospasm.
Key wordsDipyridamole Heart Radionuclide imaging Pulmonary function test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ranhosky A, Kempthorne-Rawson J. Intravenous Dipyridamole Thallium Imaging Study Group. The safety of intravenous dipyridamole thallium myocardial perfusion imaging.Circulation 1990; 81: 1205–1209.Google Scholar
- 2.Perper EJ, Segall GM. Safety of dipyridamole-thallium imaging in high risk patients with known or suspected coronary artery disease.J Nucl Med 1991; 32: 2107–2114.Google Scholar
- 3.Lette J, Cerino M, Laverdiere M, Tremblay J, Prenovault J. Severe bronchospasm followed by respiratory arrest during thallium-dipyridamole imaging.Chest 1990; 98: 253–255.Google Scholar
- 4.Gerson MC, Moore EN, Ellis K. Systemic effects and safety of intravenous dipyridamole in elderly patients with suspected coronary artery disease.Am J Cardiol 1987; 60: 1399–1401.Google Scholar
- 5.Stern S, Greenberg ID, Corne R. Effect of exercise supplementation on dipyridamole thallium-201 image quality.J Nucl Med 1991; 32: 1564–1568.Google Scholar
- 6.Macdonald JB, Cole TJ, Seaton A. Forced expiratory time — its reliability as a lung function test.Thorax 1975; 30: 554–559.Google Scholar
- 7.Fernandez-Bonetti P, Lupi-Herrera E, Martinez-Guerra ML, Barrios R, Seoane M, Sandoval J. Peripheral airways obstruction in idiopathic pulmonary artery hypertension (primary).Chest 1983; 83: 732–738.Google Scholar
- 8.Iskandrian AS, Heo J, Askenase A. Dipyridamole cardiac imaging.Am Heart J 1988; 115: 432–433.Google Scholar
- 9.Chouraqui P, Rodrigues EA, Berman DS, Maddahi J. Significance of dipyridamole-induced transient dilatation of the left ventricle during thallium-201 scintigraphy in suspected coronary artery disease.Am J Cardiol 1990; 66: 689–694.Google Scholar
- 10.Miller DD, Scott RA, Riesmeyer JS, Chaudhuri TK, Blumhardt R, Boucher CA, O'Rourke RA. Acute hemodynamic changes during intravenous dipyridamole thallium imaging early after infarction.Am Heart J 1989; 118: 686–694.Google Scholar