The structure and validity of acculturation
- 104 Downloads
This paper presents data from a study of acculturation in 291 Greek Cypriot immigrants from the general population of Camberwell, south London. Factor analysis was carried out, and factors were extracted using the maximum likelihood method and subjected to oblique rotation. The best solution was based on two highly correlated factors (0.64), which together explained 28% of the variance. The first factor appeared to represent Cultural Identification, the second, Language Mastery/Ethnocentricism. The construct validity of the factors was substantiated by analyses relating them to a range of other variables likely to be correlated with acculturation. Issues concerning the measurement of acculturation are discussed.
KeywordsPublic Health General Population Construct Validity Likelihood Method Maximum Likelihood Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramson JH (1984) Survey methods in community medicine. Churchill Livingstone, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- Berry JW (1980) Acculturation as varieties of adaptation. In: Padilla AM (ed) Acculturation. Theory, models, and some new findings. Westview, BoulderGoogle Scholar
- Madianos M (1980) Acculturation and mental health of Greek immigrants in USA. MD dissertation, University of Athens (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Madianos M (1984) Acculturation and mental health of Greek immigrants in USA. In: Hudolin V (ed) Social psychiatry. Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Papajohn JC, Spiegel JP (1971) The relationship of culture value orientation and Rorschach indices of psychological development. J Cross Cult Psychol 2: 257–272Google Scholar
- Spindler G, Spindler L (1963) Psychology in anthropology: applications to culture change. In: Koch S (ed) Psychology: a study of a science, vol 6. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Torres-Matrullo CM (1980) Acculturation, sex-role values and mental health among mainland Puerto-Ricans. In: Padilla AM (ed) Acculturation. Theory, models and some new findings. Westview, BoulderGoogle Scholar