Advertisement

Urological Research

, Volume 21, Issue 2, pp 125–129 | Cite as

Optimization of uretero-intestinal anastomosis in urinary diversion: an experimental study in dogs

I. Evaluation of the Le Duc technique
  • Hassan Abol-Enein
  • Mahmoud El-Baz
  • Mohamed A. Ghoneim
Original Articles

Summary

Experimental evaluation of uretero-ileal reim-plantation was carried out in 10 adult mongrel dogs. One half of the ureters (10) were implanted into ileal reservoirs using the classic Le Duc technique. In the other half, the implanted ureters were covered by ileal mucous membrane. Following the classic Le Duc technique, 40% of the reimplanted ureters showed evidence of either reflux and/or stenosis resulting from shortening and fibrosis of the tunnel. The remaining 60% were perfect due to spontaneous nipple formation at the implantation sites rather than to creeping of the intestinal mucosa. In contrast, none of the ureters examined was either refluxing or stenotic. This study outlines the critical importance of covering the implanted ureters with mucosa to avoid the ureteric adventitia being exposed to the irritative effects of urine with subsequent scarring.

Key words

Le Duc Ureter Implantation Ileum 

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Allen TD, Peters PC, Sagalowsky AI, Roehrborn C (1985) The Camey procedure: preliminary results in 11 patients. World J Urol 3:167Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Camey M (1985) Bladder replacement by ileo-cystoplasty following radical cystectomy. World J Urol 3:161Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Hautmann RE, Egghart G, Forhneberg D, Miller K (1988) The ileal neobladder. J Urol 139:39PubMedGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Kock NG, Norlen L, Philipson BM, Akerlund S (1985) The continent ileal reservoir (Kock pouch) for urinary diversion. World J Urol 3:146Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Le-Duc A, Camey M, Teillac P (1987) An original antireflux ureteroileal implantation technique: long term follow up. J Urol 137:1156PubMedGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Shaaban AA, Gaballah MA, El-Diasty TA, Ghoneim MA (1992) Urethral controlled bladder substitution: a comparison of intussuscepted nipple valve and the technique of Le Duc as antireflux procedures. J Urol 148:1156PubMedGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Wenderoth UK, Bachor R, Egghart G, Frohneberg D, Miller K, Hautmann RE (1990) The ileal neobladder experience and results of more than 100 consecutive cases. J Urol 143:492PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 1993

Authors and Affiliations

  • Hassan Abol-Enein
    • 1
  • Mahmoud El-Baz
    • 2
  • Mohamed A. Ghoneim
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of UrologyUrology-Nephrology CentreMansouraEgypt
  2. 2.Department of PathologyUrology-Nephrology CentreMansouraEgypt

Personalised recommendations