The General Health Questionnaire (GHQ)
The English version of the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ) and a translated Indian version were administered to a sample of hundred bilingual college students. Both the versions of the GHQ showed adequate internal consistency and reliability. There was a high concordance between the two versions on high scorers and low scorers. These results were also applicable to GHQ-30 and GHQ-42. Item analysis revealed certain differences between the two versions attributable to semantic and technical problems. Validity of the GHQ in the Indian setting are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duncan-Jones P, Henderson S (1978) The use of a two-phase design in a prevalence survey. Soc Psychiatry 13: 231–237Google Scholar
- Gautam S, Nijhawan M, Preet Kamal (1987) Standardisation of the Hindi version of the Goldberg's General Health Questionnaire. Indian J Psychiatry 29: 63–66Google Scholar
- Gaviria M, Pathak D, Flaherty J, Garcia-Pacheco C, Martinez H, Wintrob R, Mitchell T (1984) Designing and adapting instruments for a cross-cultural study of immigration and mental health in Peru. Paper presented at the American Psychiatric Association MeetingGoogle Scholar
- Goldberg DP (1972) The detection of psychiatric illness by questionnaire. Mansley Monograph No. 21, University Press, London OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Goldberg D, Williams P (1988) A user's guide to the General Health Questionnaire. NFER, WindsorGoogle Scholar
- Sartorius N, Brook EM (1973) Translation. In: The international pilot study of schizophrenia, Geneva, WHOGoogle Scholar
- Sen B (1987) Psychiatric phenomena in primary health care — their extent and nature. Indian J Psychiatry 29: 33–40Google Scholar
- Shamasundar C, Krishna Murthy S, Om Prakash, Prabhakar N, Subbakrishna DK (1986) Psychiatric morbidity in general practice in an Indian city. Br Med J 292(6537): 1713–1714Google Scholar
- Vieweg BW, Hedlund JL (1983) The General Health Questionnaire (GHQ) — a comprehensive review. J Operat Psychiatry 14: 74–81Google Scholar