Detection and analysis of asbestos in environmental samples collected on membrane-filters: A multiple-choice procedure integrating the LM, the SEM and the EMP
- 39 Downloads
The procedure proposed here is meant for systematic monitoring of asbestos in the environment.
It is simple to perform, reliable, and leads to a qualitative as well as quantitative assessment of the presence of asbestos fibers. The investment in time remains within reasonable limits thanks to the integrated use of the LM and the SEM+EMP, and to the technique of conservative transfer. The latter allows in addition for an objective description of each sample as a whole, and for the recording of any information pertaining to the origin, history and social behaviour of the asbestos particles possibly present. li]-The procedure is readily adaptable to other particulate pollutants. li]-The choice of electrolytic copper discs as LM-SEM-EMP sample-mounts, with their very high surface qualities, together with our technique of selective rinsing, can be of use in the development of an automated LM-SEM image-analysis system for particle counting.
It is hoped that this work will contribute to encourage collaboration between the “LM and EM people”.
Not only does the integrated use of both techniques provide a tentative way to overcome the cost vs. accuracy dilemma inherent to environmental studies, but it also hints, we believe, to a whole field of analytical practices not yet explored for most of it.
KeywordsWaste Water Social Behaviour Environmental Sample Surface Quality Asbestos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BEAMAN,D.R. and D.M.FILE: Anal. Chem.,48, 101, (1976).Google Scholar
- FATEMI,M., E.T.JOHNSON, R.R. WHITLOCK, L.S. BIRKS and J.V. GILFRICH: EPA-600/2-77-062, (1977).Google Scholar
- FERREL,R.E., G.G. PAULSON and C.W. WALKER: Proc. Workshop on SEM and the Law, IIR.IR April 1975, 537, (1975).Google Scholar
- GONI,J., M.C. JAURANT et R. CAYE: Bull. Soc. Fr. Minér. Cristall.,98, 294, (1975).Google Scholar
- JEDWAB,J.: Bull. Soc. belge Géol.,Paléont.,Hydrol.,80,177, (1971).Google Scholar
- Joint AIHA-ACGIH Aerosol Hazards Evaluation Committee: An. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J., 83, (1975).Google Scholar
- MIDDLETON,A.P.: Am. Occup. Hyg.,21, 91, (1978).Google Scholar
- ORTIZ,L.W. and B.L.ISOM: Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J., 423, (1974).Google Scholar
- THOMAS,R.S. and J.R. HOLLAHAN: Proc. 7th SEM Symposium, IIR.IR April 1974, 84, (1974).Google Scholar
- ZUMWALDE,R.D. and J.M. DEMENT: Niosh-Dhew Publ. n∘77-204, (1977).Google Scholar