CAOS is a system for structural shape optimization. It is closely integrated in a Computer Aided Design environment and controlled entirely from the CAD-system AutoCAD. The mathematical foundation of the system is briefly presented and a description of the CAD-integration strategy is given together with an example.
KeywordsCivil Engineer Structural Optimization Optimization System Shape Optimization Mathematical Foundation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, J.A.; Botkin, M.E. 1985: Structural shape optimization with geometric description and adaptive mesh refinement.AIAA J. 23, 458–464Google Scholar
- Botkin, M.E.; Yang, R.J.; Bennett, J.A. 1986: Shape optimization of three-dimensional stamped and solid automotive components. In: Bennet, J.A.; Botkin, M.E. (eds.)The optimum shape. Automated structural design. New York: Plenum PressGoogle Scholar
- Braibant, V.; Fleury, C. 1984: Shape optimal design usingB-splines.Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. 44, 247–267Google Scholar
- Cheng, G.; Yingwei, L. 1987: A new computation scheme for sensitivity analysis.Eng. Opt. 12, 219–234Google Scholar
- Esping, B.J.D. 1984: Minimum weight design of membrane structures using eight node isoparametric elements and numerical derivatives.Comput. Struct. 19, 591–604Google Scholar
- Fleury, C.; Braibant, V. 1986: Structural optimization: a new dual method using mixed variables.Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng. 23, 409–428Google Scholar
- Olhoff, N. 1989: Multicriterion structural optimization via bound formulation and mathematical programming.Struct. Optim. 1, 11–17Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, J. 1989: Development of the interactive structural optimization system CAOS. Ph.D. thesis, Aalborg University (in Danish).Special Report no. 1a, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Aalborg University Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, J. 1989: CAOS optimization system - collection of examples.Special Report no. 1c, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Aalborg University Google Scholar
- Svanberg, K. 1987: The method of moving asymptotes a new method for structural optimization.Int. J. Num. Methods Eng. 24, 359–373Google Scholar