First- and second-order shape sensitivity analysis of structures
- 202 Downloads
The first- and second-order sensitivities with respect to varying structural shape are discussed for an arbitrary stress, strain and displacement functional. It is assumed that only the traction-free boundary of a structure can undergo the shape modification described by a set of shape design parameters. The first derivatives of a functional with respect to these parameters are derived using both the direct and adjoint approaches. Next the second derivatives are obtained using the mixed approach in which both the direct and adjoint first-order solutions are used. The general results are particularized for the case of complementary and potential energy of a structure. Some simple examples illustrate the theory presented.
KeywordsSensitivity Analysis Potential Energy Civil Engineer Design Parameter General Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Choi, K.K.; Haug, E.J. 1983: Shape design sensitivity analysis of elastic structures.J. Struct. Mech. 11, 231–269Google Scholar
- Choi, K.K.; Seong, H.G. 1986: A domain method for shape design sensitivity analysis of built-up structures.Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. 57, 1–15Google Scholar
- Dems, K.; Mróz, Z. 1984: Variational approach by means of adjoint system to structural optimization and sensitivity analysis.Int. J. Solids Struct. 20, 527–552Google Scholar
- Dems, K.; Mróz, Z. 1985: Variational approach to first- and second-order sensitivity analysis of elastic structures.Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng. 21, 637–661Google Scholar
- Dems, K; Haftka, R.T. 1989: Two approaches to sensitivity analysis for shape variation of structures.Mech. Struct. Mach. 16, 379–400Google Scholar
- Fujii, N. 1986: Domain optimization problems with a boundary value problem as a constraint. In: Rauch, H.E. (ed.)Proc. 4th IFAC Symp. Control of Distributed Parameter Systems, pp. 5–9. Los Angeles: PergamonGoogle Scholar
- Haber, R.B. 1986: A new variational approach to structural shape design sensititvity analysis. In: Mota Soares, C.A. (ed.)Computer aided optimal design: structural and mechanichal systems, pp. 573–587. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Haftka, R.T. 1982: Second-order sensitivity derivatives in structural analysis.AIAA J. 20, 1765–1766Google Scholar
- Haftka, R.T.; Mróz, Z. 1986: First- and second-order sensitivity analysis of linear and nonlinear structures.AIAA J. 24, 1187–1192Google Scholar
- Haug, E.J.; Arora, J.S. 1978: Design sensitivity analysis of elastic mechanical systems.Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. 15, 35–62Google Scholar
- Haug, E.J. 1981: Second-order design sensitivity analysis of structural systems.AIAA J. 19, 1087–1088Google Scholar