Structural modelling and sensitivity analysis of shape optimization
It is presented in this paper that the structural modelling of shape optimization is composed of, in general cases, four distinct processes on geometry, design, analysis and perturbation models. The relationships between these models are discussed. An integrated modelling approach based on geometric shape parameterization and automatic mesh generation is proposed. In cooperation with this modelling approach, the semi-analytic sensitivity analysis has been effectively employed. These techniques join shape optimization with FEM and CAD packages and apply it versatilely to optimum designs of general structures. The implementation and applications of the integrated modelling approach and semi-analytic sensitivity analysis to shape optimization of structures with coupling of stress and temperature fields are illustrated.
KeywordsSensitivity Analysis Civil Engineer Optimum Design General Structure Temperature Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barthelemy, B.; Haftka, R. 1988: Accuracy analysis of the semi-analytical method for shape sensitivity calculation.Proc. AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC 29th SSDM Conf. (held in Williamsburg, VA), Part 1, 562–581Google Scholar
- Bennett, J.A.; Botkin, M.E. (eds.) 1986:The optimum shape, automated structural design. New York: Plenum PressGoogle Scholar
- Cheng, G.; Liu, Y. 1987: A new computation scheme for sensitivity analysis.J. Eng. Opt. 12, 219–234Google Scholar
- Cheng, G.; Gu, Y.; Zhou, Y. 1989: Accuracy of semi-analytic sensitivity analysis.J. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 6, 113–128Google Scholar
- Cheng, G.; Gu, Y.; Wang, X. 1990: Improvement of semi-analytic sensitivity analysis and MCADS. In: Eschenauer, H; Mattheck, C.; Olhoff, N.Engineering optimization in design processes, pp. 211–224. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Cheng, G.; Olhoff, N. 1992: New method of error analysis and detection in semi-analytical sensitivity analysis. In: Rozvany, G.I.N (ed.) “Optimization of large structural systems”, pp. 361–384. Dordrecht: KluwerGoogle Scholar
- Gu, Y.; Cheng, G. 1987: Integration of FEM, optimization and CAD on microcomputers. In: Pande, G.; Middleton J. (eds.)Numerical techniques for engineering analysis and design. Dordrecht: Martinus NijhoffGoogle Scholar
- Gu, Y.; Cheng, G. 1990: Structural shape optimization integrated with CAD environment.Struct. Optim. 2, 23–28Google Scholar
- Gu, Y.; Gheng, G. 1991: MCADS and shape optimization of thermo-stressed continuum structures. In: Hernandez, S.; Brebbia, C.A. (eds.)Design optimization of structural systems and industrial applications, pp. 667–678. Southampton: Computational Mechanics PublicationsGoogle Scholar