Main stem bronchial occlusion in a neonate
- 17 Downloads
In recent years it has become evident that partial obstruction of bronchi can be acquired postnatally secondary to mechanical trauma caused during prolonged endotracheal intubation. In the presented case, a complete obstruction of the right main stem bronchus developed during the neonatal period despite a relatively short time of intubation. The etiological background is discussed.
Key wordsMainstem bronchial obstruction Bronchial atresia and stenosis Endotracheal intubation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Meng RL, Jensik RJ, Faber LP, Matthew GR, Kittle CF (1978) Bronchial atresia. Ann Thorac Surg 25:184Google Scholar
- 2.Nagaraj HS, Shott R, Fellows R, Yacoub U (1980) Recurrent lobar atelectasis due to acquired bronchial stenosis in neonates. J Pediatr Surg 15:411Google Scholar
- 3.Oh KS, Dorst JP, White JJ, Haller JA Jr, Johnson BA, Byrne WD (1976) The syndrome of bronchial atresia or stenosis with mucocoele and focal hyperinflation of the lung. Johns' Hopkins Med J 138:48Google Scholar
- 4.Reid L (1977) The lung; its growth and remodelling in health and disease. Am J Roentgenol 129:777Google Scholar
- 5.Schuster SR, Harris GBC, Williams A, Kirkpatrick J, Reid L (1978) Bronchial atresia: A recognizable entity in the pediatric age group. J Pediatr Surg 13:682Google Scholar