A birth weight for gestational age standard based on data in the Swedish Medical Birth Registry, 1985–1989
Birth weight curves according to gestational length are presented based on data from more than 480,000 singleton births, registered in the Medical Birth Registry and with gestational age based on ultrasound examinations in the majority of cases. Curves were constructed from the most common weights in each week (modes) for each sex and standard deviations were estimated under the assumption of a fixed coefficient of variation, the size of which was estimated from 40 weeks infants. This methodology makes it possible to construct graphs for specific subgroups of infants: such graphs for boys and girls for primiparous and multiparous women are given in the paper.
Key wordsBirth weight Gestational duration Growth Registry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Engström L, Sterky G. Standardkurvor för vikt och l ängd hos nyfödda barn [Standard curves for weight and length in newborn infants]. Läkartidningen 1966; 63: 4922–4926.Google Scholar
- 2.Sterky G. Swedish standard curves for intra-uterine growth. Pediatrics 1970; 46: 7–8.Google Scholar
- 3.Niklasson A, Ericson E, Fryer JG, Karlberg J, Lawrence C, Karlberg P. An update of the Swedish reference standards for weight, length and head circumference at birth for given gestational age (1977–1981). Acta Paediatr Scand 1991; 80: 756–762.Google Scholar
- 4.Eik-Ness SH, Persson P-H, Gröttum P. Revaluation of standards for human fetal growth [Dissertation]. Malmö: University of Lund, 1980: 103–113.Google Scholar
- 5.Thomson AM, Billewics WZ, Hytten FE. The assessment of fetal growth. J Obstet Gynecol Br Cwlth 1968; 75: 903–916.Google Scholar
- 6.Tanner JM, Thomson AM. Standards for birthweight and gestation periods from 32 to 42 weeks, allowing for maternal height and weight. Arch Dis Childh 1970; 45: 566–569.Google Scholar
- 7.Gardosi J, Chang A, Kalyan B, Sahota D, Symonds EM. Customised antenatal growth charts. Lancet 1992 (i): 283–287.Google Scholar
- 8.Cnattingius S, Ericson A, Gunnarskog J, Källén B. A quality study of a medical birth registry. Scand J Soc Med 1990; 18: 143–148.Google Scholar
- 9.Carr-Hill RA, Pritchard CW. Reviewing birthweight standards. Br J Obst Gynaecol 1983; 90: 718–725.Google Scholar
- 10.Person P-H, Weldner B-M. Intrauterine weight curves obtained by ultrasound. Acta Obstet Gynceol Scand 1986; 65: 169–173.Google Scholar