Death by tanning — a case of fatal basic chromium sulphate poisoning

Abstract

A woman ingested 400 ml of leather tanning solution containing 48 g of basic chromium sulphate (CrOHSO4). This substance forms hydrogen ions and trivalent chromium when it reacts with tissue proteins. The patient died of cardiogenic shock, complicated by pancreatitis and gut mucosal necrosis and haemorrhage. There are no reported cases of toxicity due to oral ingestion of trivalent chromium. Toxicity of hexavalent and trivalent chromium is dicussed and suggestions made for management of future cases.

This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.

References

  1. 1.

    Tandon SK, Mathur AK, Gaul JS (1977) Urinary excretion of chromium and nickel among electroplaters and pigment industry workers. Int Arch Occupat Environ Health 40:71–76

    Google Scholar 

  2. 2.

    Tsuneta Y, Oshaki Y, Kimura K, Mikami H, Abes S, Murao M (1980). Chromium content of lungs of chromate workers with lung cancer. Thorax 35:294–297

    Google Scholar 

  3. 3.

    Kelly WF, Ackrill P, Day JP, O'Hara M, Tye CT, Burton I, Orton C, Harris M (1982) Cutaneous absorption of trivalent chromium: tissue levels and treatment by exchange transfusion. Br J Industr Med 39:397–400

    Google Scholar 

  4. 4.

    Fristedt B, Lindqvist B, Schutz A, Ovrum P (1965) Survival in a case of acute oral chromic acid poisoning with acute renal failure treated with haemodialysis. Acta Med Scand 177:153–160

    Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to P. V. van Heerden.

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

van Heerden, P.V., Jenkins, I.R., Woods, W.P.D. et al. Death by tanning — a case of fatal basic chromium sulphate poisoning. Intensive Care Med 20, 145–147 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01707671

Download citation

Key words

  • Poisoning
  • Chromium sulphate