Death by tanning — a case of fatal basic chromium sulphate poisoning
- 60 Downloads
A woman ingested 400 ml of leather tanning solution containing 48 g of basic chromium sulphate (CrOHSO4). This substance forms hydrogen ions and trivalent chromium when it reacts with tissue proteins. The patient died of cardiogenic shock, complicated by pancreatitis and gut mucosal necrosis and haemorrhage. There are no reported cases of toxicity due to oral ingestion of trivalent chromium. Toxicity of hexavalent and trivalent chromium is dicussed and suggestions made for management of future cases.
Key wordsPoisoning Chromium sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tandon SK, Mathur AK, Gaul JS (1977) Urinary excretion of chromium and nickel among electroplaters and pigment industry workers. Int Arch Occupat Environ Health 40:71–76Google Scholar
- 2.Tsuneta Y, Oshaki Y, Kimura K, Mikami H, Abes S, Murao M (1980). Chromium content of lungs of chromate workers with lung cancer. Thorax 35:294–297Google Scholar
- 3.Kelly WF, Ackrill P, Day JP, O'Hara M, Tye CT, Burton I, Orton C, Harris M (1982) Cutaneous absorption of trivalent chromium: tissue levels and treatment by exchange transfusion. Br J Industr Med 39:397–400Google Scholar
- 4.Fristedt B, Lindqvist B, Schutz A, Ovrum P (1965) Survival in a case of acute oral chromic acid poisoning with acute renal failure treated with haemodialysis. Acta Med Scand 177:153–160Google Scholar