Advertisement

Application of Bailey-Dubow rods in the treatment ofOsteogenesis Imperfecta

  • N. Bilsel
  • T. Beyzadeoglu
  • A. Kafadar
Original articles

Summary

We performed two technical modifications at 7 patients at an average age of 6 (5–8) with Osteogenesis Imperfecta between 1984–1988 to lower the complication rate as an outcome of T piece loosening and destruction of ankle joint in Bailey-Dubow rod applications. The first modification was welding the sleeve to the T piece and the second one was applying the rod through the medial malleolus like a malleolar screw without exposing the ankle joint. As 2 patients died during the follow-up, 12 operations (10 femora and 2 tibiae) of the remaining 5 patients (4 males and 1 female) were evaluated after skeletal maturity. The mean follow-up period was 148 (132–168) months. 3 of the patients were Sillence I, while 2 of them were Sillence III. According to Hoffer and Bullock's ambulation criteria, preoperatively 4 patients were grade 4 and 1 patient was grade 3. Postoperatively 3 patients were evaluated as grade 2 while 2 patients as grade 1. Complication rate outcomed as 25% and 33% (totally 58%) as major and minor ones respectively according to Ziont et al.'s classification. The reasons for the lower complication rate in our series are the older age of the patients, performance of the operation by the same experienced surgeon, the 3 patients' being in Sillence 1 and the application of two different new modifications.

Key words

Osteogenesis Imperfecta Bailey Dubow rods 

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Gamble JG, Strudwick WJ, Rinsky LA, Bleck EE (1988) Complications of intramedullary rods in osteogenesis imperfecta: Bailey-Dubow rods versus nonelongating rods. J Pediatr Orthop 8(6): 645–649PubMedGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Hoffer M, Bullock M (1981) The functional and social significance of orthopaedic rehabilitation of mentally retarded patients with cerebral palsy. Orthop Clin North Am 12 (1): 185–191PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Lang-Stevenson Al, Sharrard WJ (1984) Intramedullary rodding with Bailey-Dubow extensible rods in osteogenesis imperfecta. An interim report of results and complications. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 66(2): 227–232Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Lecuire F, Rebouillat J, Chtcherbakow Y, Basso M (1987) Osteogeneses imparfaites traitees en cours de croissance par enclouage diaphysaire selon Sofield. Deveneir a l'age adulte. Rev Chir Orthop 73(8): 643–655PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Millar EA (1981) Observation on the surgical management of osteogenesis imperfecta. Clin Orthop 159: 422–427Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Niemann KMW (1981) Surgical treatment of the tibia in osteogenesis imperfecta. Clin Orthop 159: 134–140PubMedGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Porat S, Heller E, Seidman DS, Meyer S (1991) Functional results of operation in osteogenesis imperfecta: elongating and nonelongating rods. J Pediatr Orthop 11 (2): 200–203PubMedGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Sillence D (1981) Osteogenesis imperfecta: An expanding panorama of variants. Clin Orthop 159: 11–25PubMedGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Simenau R (1987) The Dubow-Bailey nail in the treatment of osteogenesis imperfecta. Orthop Trans 11: 52Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    Sofield HA, Millar EA (1959) Fragmentation, realignment and intramedullary rod fixation of deformities of the long bones in children: A ten years appraisal. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 41: 1371–1391Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Stockley I, Bell MJ, Sharrard WJ (1989) The role of expanding intramedullary rods in osteogenesis imperfecta. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 71: 422–427Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    Zionts EL, Ebramzadeh E, Stott SN (1998) Complications in the use of the Bailey-Dubow extensible nail. Clin Orthop 348: 186–195PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2000

Authors and Affiliations

  • N. Bilsel
    • 1
  • T. Beyzadeoglu
    • 1
  • A. Kafadar
    • 2
  1. 1.Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cerrahpasa Faculty of MedicineIstanbul UniversityIstanbulTurkey
  2. 2.Department of Orthopaedic SurgeryHaydarpasa Numune HospitalIstanbulTurkey

Personalised recommendations