Ly-5 is a third genetic locus of the type so far represented in the mouse byLy-1 andLy-2/Ly-3; it specifies antithetical alloantigens, one of which is present exclusively on T lymphocytes of every mouse. The chromosomal locus ofLy-5 has not been established, but it is not closely linked toLy-1 orLy-2/Ly-3. Like other T-lymphocyte surface markers, expression of Ly-5 antigens on T-lymphocyte precursor cells can be initiated in vitro by inducers of T-cell differentiation.
KeywordsPrecursor Cell Surface Marker Chromosomal Locus Genetic Locus Antigen System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyse, E. A., Hubbard, L., Stockert, E., and Lamm, M. E.: Improved complementation in the cytotoxic test.Transplantation 10: 446449, 1970.Google Scholar
- Boyse, E. A., Itakura, K., Stockert, E., Iritani, C. A., and Muka, M.: Ly-C: a third locus specifying alloantigens expressed only on thymocytes and lymphocytes.Transplantation 11: 351–352, 1971.Google Scholar
- Boyse, E. A. and Old, L. J.: Some aspects of normal and abnormal cell surface genetics.Annu. Rev. Genetics. 3: 269–290, 1969.Google Scholar
- Gottlieb, P. D.: Genetic correlation of a mouse light chain V-region marker with a thymocyte surface antigen.Immunogenetics, in press 1974. (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Komuro, K., Boyse, E. A., and Old, L. J.: Production of TL antibody by mice immunized with TL− cell populations. A possible assay for thymic hormone.J. Exp. Med. 137: 533–536, 1973.Google Scholar
- Scheid, M. P., Hoffmann, M. K., Komuro, K., Hammerling, U., Abbott, A., Boyse, E. A., Cohen, G. H., Hooper, J. A., Schulof, R. S., and Goldstein, A. L.: Differentiation of T cells induced by preparations from thymus and by non-thymic agents: the determined state of the precursor cell.J. Exp. Med. 138: 1027–1031, 1973.Google Scholar
- Snell, G. D., Cherry, M., McKenzie, I.F.C., and Bailey, D. W.: Ly-4, A new locus determining a lymphocyte cell-surface alloantigen in mice.Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 70: 1108–1111, 1973.Google Scholar