Childhood of males with the XYY syndrome
- 141 Downloads
An investigation of the childhood of 20 adult males and 2 boys with the XYY syndrome, ranging in age from 6 to 58 years at the time of diagnosis, is presented and discussed. A comparison with controls, 42 male criminals with more or less similar behavioral characteristics, indicated that truancy, vagabondage, impulsiveness, and difficulties at school and in establishing contact with people were more frequent among patients with karyotype 47,XYY. Behavioral disorders, admission to psychiatric hospitals, criminality, and minor EEG aberrations were found more frequently among the XYY males. Measurements of stature and weight indicated that XYY boys are comparatively tall but have a normal weight. It is suggested that a combination of karyotype 47,XYY and infantile autism in one of the boys was probably coincidental. The case histories of 8 patients with records of psychiatric hospitalization in childhood or adolesence are presented in detail.
KeywordsNormal Weight Adult Male Case History Psychiatric Hospital Behavioral Characteristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boucharlat, J., & Jalbert, P. Le triplet chromosomique. Son intéret en psychiatrie. A propos d'une observation.Annales Médico-Psychologiques, 1969,127, 793–797.Google Scholar
- Casey, M. D., Blank, C. E., Street, D. R. K., Segall, L. J., McDougall, J. H., McGrath, P. J., & Skinner, J. L. YY chromosomes and antisocial behavior.Lancet, 1966,2, 859–860.Google Scholar
- Friedrich, U., Erling, E. B., & Nielsen, J. Chromosomenuntersuchung bei Rechtspsychiatrischen Patienten.Zeitschrift für Rechtsmedizin, 1971,68, 138–148.Google Scholar
- FrØland, A. Chromosomes and autoradiography.Stain Technology, 1965,40, 42–45.Google Scholar
- Gibbs, F. A., & Gibbs, E. L.Atlas of electroencephalography. Vol. 2. Cambridge, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1952.Google Scholar
- Keutel, J., & Dauner, I. XYY-Status bei kindern.Zeitschrift für Kinderheilkunde, 1969,106, 314–332.Google Scholar
- Kivowitz, J. The XYY syndrome in children: A review.Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 1972,2, 186–194.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, J. Klinefelter's syndrome and the XYY syndrome.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 1969, Suppl. 209, Munksgård, Kbhr.Google Scholar
- Vigi, V., Volpato, S., Zardini, V., Gaburro, D., & Tiepolo, L. XYY in a ten year old child with aggressive behavior.Annales de Génétique, 1969,12, 202–203.Google Scholar
- Zeuthen, E., Hansen, M., Christensen, A.-L., & Nielsen, J. XYY males found in a general male population. Psychiatric-psychological examination.Acta Psychiatricia Scandinavica, 1973, in press.Google Scholar