Fibrosarcoma of the scalp following postoperative radiotherapy for medulloblastoma
- 32 Downloads
A rare case of fibrosarcoma of the scalp following postoperative radiotherapy for medulloblastoma is reported. A review of similar cases in the literature was undertaken in an attempt to find a correlation between the dose of radiation, the length of the latent period, and the nature of the neoplasm. A significantly shorter latent period was found for sarcomas. No relationship was observed between the radiation dose and the latent period. The present case is unique in that the post-irradiation neoplasm (PIN) occurred in a predominantly extracranial site after treatment for a desmoplastic medulloblastoma and had a remarkably short latent period.
KeywordsMedulloblastoma post-irradiation neoplasm fibrosarcoma radiotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cohen MS, Kushner MJ, Dell S (1981) Frontal lobe astrocytoma following radiotherapy for medulloblastoma. Neurology (NY) 31: 616–619Google Scholar
- 5.Hatfield PM, Schulz MD (1970) Postirradiation sarcoma. Radiol 96: 593–602Google Scholar
- 8.Kim JH, Chu FC, Woodard HQ, Melamed MR, Huvos A, Cantin J (1978) Radiation induced soft tissue and bone sarcoma. Radiol 129: 501–508Google Scholar
- 12.Leader M, Collins M, Patel J, Henry K (1987) Vimentin: An evaluation of its role as a tumour marker. Histopathol 11: 63–72Google Scholar
- 14.Maldague P (1969) Comparative study experimentally induced cancer of the kidney in mice and rats with X-ray. In: International Atomic Energy Agency Symposium: Radiation induced cancer, IAEA, Vienna, pp 439–458Google Scholar