Wegener's granulomatosis masquerading as pancreatic carcinoma
- 53 Downloads
A 62-year-old male presented with painless jaundice and solitary pulmonary and pancreatic masses. An extensive evaluation revealed Wegener's granulomatosis as the etiology. His pancreatic mass and jaundice responded to temporary stenting and therapy with cyclophosphamide and prednisone. While pancreatic vasculitis in Wegener's granulomatosis has been noted previously in autopsy studies, symptomatic involvement has been reported only once previously and never as a presenting feature of the disease. The antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) assay proved useful in establishing the diagnosis. Necrotizing vasculidities can mimic pancreatic carcinoma and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of atypical cases.
Key WordsWegener's granulomatosis bile duct obstruction extrahepatic pancreatic neoplasms autoantibodies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fauci AS, Haynes BF, Katz P, Wolff SM: Wegener's granulomatosis: Prospective clinical and therapeutic experience with 85 patients for 21 years. Ann Intern Med 98:76–85, 1983Google Scholar
- 2.Sawicka EH: The necrotizing vasculitides. Thorax 42:913–917, 1987Google Scholar
- 3.Nolle B, Specks U, Ludemann J, Rohrbach MS, DeRemee RA, Gross WL: Anticytoplasmic autoantibodies: Their immunodiagnostic value in Wegener granulomatosis. Ann Intern Med 111:28–40, 1989Google Scholar
- 4.Camilleri M, Pusey CD, Chadwick VS, Rees AJ: Gastrointestinal manifestations of systemic vasculitis. Q J Med 52:141–149, 1983Google Scholar
- 5.Walton EW: Giant-cell granuloma of the respiratory tract (Wegener's granulomatosis). Br Med J 2:265–270, 1958Google Scholar
- 6.Kemp JA, Arora S, Fawaz K: Recurrent acute pancreatitis as a manifestation of Wegener's granulomatosis. Dig Dis Sci 35:912–915, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Dillard BM, Black WC: Polyarteritis nodosa of the gallbladder and bile ducts. Am Surg 36:423–427, 1970Google Scholar
- 8.Conn DL: Update on systemic necrotizing vasculitis. Mayo Clin Proc 64:535–543, 1989Google Scholar
- 9.Hall-Craggs MA, Lees WR: Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: Pancreatic and biliary tumors. AJR 147:399–403, 1986Google Scholar