Response of metastatic adenoid cystic carcinoma and Merkel cell tumor to high-dose Melphalan with autologous bone marrow transplantation
- 22 Downloads
Two patients with metastatic spread of unusual tumors responded to treatment with high-dose Melphalan and autologous bone marrow transplant. One patient had adenoid cystic carcinoma of a minor salivary gland and the other had Merkel cell tumor of the scalp. Both patients had undergone prior surgery and radiotherapy, but later relapsed with distant metastases. Both patients had progression of their disease despite conventional and salvage chemotherapy. Treatment with high-dose Melphalan and autologous bone marrow transplant resulted in partial responses for both patients. High-dose Melphalan should be considered for therapy earlier in the course of patients with these unusual cancers.
Key wordsMelphalan high-dose chemotherapy adenoid cystic carcinoma Merkel cell tumor autologous bone marrow transplantation L-phenylalanine mustard
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sarosy G, Leyland-Jones B, Soochan P, Cheson BD: The systemic administration of intravenous melphalan. J Clin Oncol 6:1768–1782, 1988Google Scholar
- 2.Lazarus HM, Herzig RH, Graham-Pole J, Wolff SN, Phillips GL, Strandjord S, Hurd D, Forman W, Gordon EM, Coccia P, Gross S, Herzig GP: Intensive melphalan chemotherapy and cryopreserved autologous bone marrow transplantation for the treatment of refractory cancer. J Clin Oncol 1:359–367, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.Matsuba HM, Gershon JS, Thawley SE, Simpson JR, Mauney M, Pikul FJ: Adenoid cystic salivary gland carcinoma: A histopathologic review of treatment failure patterns. Cancer 57:519–524, 1986Google Scholar
- 4.Sidhu GS, Mullins JD, Feiner H, Schaefler K, Flotte TJ, Schultenover SJ: Merkel cell neoplasms. Am J Dermatopath 2:101–119, 1980Google Scholar
- 5.Dreyfuss AI, Clark JR, Fallon BG, Posner MR, Norris CM, Miller D: Cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin combination chemotherapy for advanced carcinomas of salivary gland origin. Cancer 60:2869–2872, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.Wynne CJ, Kearsley JH: Merkel cell tumor — a chemosensitive skin cancer. Cancer 62:28–31, 1988Google Scholar
- 7.Grosh WW, Giannone L, Hande KR, Johnson DH: Disseminated merkel cell tumor. Am J Clin Oncol 10:227–230, 1987Google Scholar