Effects of manganese ions on thyroid function in rat
- 41 Downloads
Rats were treated with MnSO4, H2O (1 mg/100 g/day, SC) for a period of 5 weeks. Thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) levels were measured in thyroid by radioimmunoassay. T4, T3 and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels were also estimated by radioimmunoassay in serum. Manganese treatment produced no change in thyroid T4 and T3 levels but induced a significant decrease in serum T4, T3 and TSH levels. This decrease can be interpreted as the result of a pituitary alteration which appears to be related to the high accumulation of manganese in the pituitary gland.
Key wordsManganese Thyroid hormones Thyroid Serum Rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amir SM, Carraway TF, Kohn LD (1973) The binding of thyrotropin to isolated bovine thyroid plasma membrane. J Biol Chem 218: 4092–4100Google Scholar
- Bonilla E (1978) Flameless atomic absorption spectrophotometric determination of manganese in rat brain and other tissues. Clin Chem 24: 471–474Google Scholar
- Buthieau AM, Autissier N (1977) Action des ions Mn2+ sur le metabolisme iodé thyroidien de rat. C R Soc Biol 171: 1024–1028Google Scholar
- Deysach LJ, Ray TW (1949) Absorption of manganese by the thyroid gland of the guinea pig. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 71: 188–189Google Scholar
- Donaldson J, St Pierre T, Minnichi JL, Barbeau A (1973) Determination of Na+, K+, Mg2+, Cu2+, Zn2+ and Mn2+ in rat brain regions. Can J Biochem 51: 87–92Google Scholar
- Heninger RW, Albright EC (1966) Effect of iodine deficiency on iodine containing compounds of rat tissues. Endocrinology 79: 309–315Google Scholar
- Kaellis E (1970) Effect of manganous ions on thyroidal iodine metabolism in the rat. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 135: 216–218Google Scholar
- Michel R, Rosner B, Autissier N (1969) Synthèses et activités biologiques de certains dérivés thyroxiniens et adrénergiques. XII — Rétention prolongée du manganèse dans la thyroide et l'hypophyse du rat. Bull Soc Chim Biol 51: 737–741Google Scholar
- Ray TW, Deysach LJ (1942) Storage of Mn by thyroid: effect on 0 consumption of guinea pig. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 51: 228–231Google Scholar
- Shukla GS, Dubey MP, Chandra SV (1980) Manganese induced biochemical changes in growing versus adult rats. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 9: 383–391Google Scholar
- Tate RL, Schwartz HI, Holmes JM, Kohn LD (1975) Thyrotropin receptors in thyroid plasma membranes. Characteristics of thyrotropin binding and solubilization of thyrotropin receptor activity by tryptic digestion. J Biol Chem 250: 6509–6515Google Scholar