Long-term unemployment, unemployment benefits and social assistance: The Polish experience
- 231 Downloads
This paper provides a comprehensive account of the regulations governing the systems of unemployment support and social assistance in post-communist Poland. To provide a solid foundation for a further discussion of these issues, the paper extensively characterizes the Polish labor force in terms of the prevalence and duration of unemployment. A final aspect of our empirical analysis concerned the question of what are the main sources of personal income for labor force participants, unemployed workers and long-term unemployed workers. In conclusion, we argue for a reform of the Polish systems of income support that separates the objectives of employment growth and poverty alleviation, and that improves upon the implementation of support schemes.
Key wordsTransition economies unemployment structure unemployment insurance
JEL classificationJ64 J65
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Björklund A, Freeman R (1995) Generating equality and eliminating poverty the Swedish way. Discussion Paper No. 228, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Boeri T (1994) Labour market flows and the persistence of unemployment in central and eastern Europe. In: OECD, Unemployment in transition countries: Transient or persistent?, OECD, Paris, pp. 13–56Google Scholar
- Góra M, Lehmann H (1995) How divergent is regional labour market adjustment in Poland? In: Scarpetta S, Wörgötter A (eds) The regional dimension of unemployment in transition countries. OECD, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Góra M, Lehmann H, Socha M, Sztanderska U (1996) Labour market policies in Poland: An assessment. In: Boeri T, Lehmann H, Wörgötter A (eds) Lessons from labour market policies in the transition countries, OECD, Paris, pp. 151–176Google Scholar
- Lehmann H (1995) Labour market flows and the evaluation of labour market policies in Poland—1900-92. In: Lehmann H, Wadsworth J (eds) Labour force survey design. Proceedings of a Technical Workshop. Ifo-Insitut for Economic Research, MunichGoogle Scholar
- Puhani PA (1996) Poland on the dole. Unemployment benefits, training, and long-term unemployment during transition. Discussion Paper 96-30, ZEW MannheimGoogle Scholar
- Puhani PA, Steiner V (1996) Public works for Poland? Active labour market policies during transition. Discussion Paper 96-01, ZEW MannheimGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt CM (1996) Cohort sizes and unemployment: Lessons for Poland. In: Lehmann H, Wadsworth J (eds) Labour markets by design? Labour market policies and creative use of household surveys in transition economies, Munich, pp. 126–154Google Scholar
- Steiner V, Kwiatkowski E (1995) The Polish labour market in transition. Discussion Paper 95-03, ZEW MannheimGoogle Scholar