Calculation of the tangential stresses at the wall of a channel and the velocity distribution in a turbulent flow of liquid
- 39 Downloads
A relationship for the distribution of tangential stresses at the wall of a straight, smooth channel with an arbitrarily shaped cross section (in the fully developed turbulent condition) is derived on the basis of certain concepts regarding the mechanism of the turbulent transfer of momentum. The constants in this relationship are derived from experimental data.
The calculated velocities and tangential stresses at the wall are compared with experimental results for eight forms of complex channels.
KeywordsExperimental Data Velocity Distribution Tangential Stress Turbulent Condition Shaped Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. I. Buleev, K. N. Polosukhina, and V. K. Pyshin, Teplofizika vysokikh temperatur,2, 749 (1964).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Deissler and M. Taylor, NACA, TN-4384 (1958).Google Scholar
- 3.A. A. Townsend, Structure of Turbulent Flow with Transverse Displacement [Russian translation], Moscow. IL (1959).Google Scholar
- 4.I. O. Khintse, Turbulence [in Russian], Moscow, fizmatgiz (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Hartnett et al., Trans. ASME,84(1), 82 (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. D. Levchenko et al., Velocity Distribution in a Close-Packed Pile of Rods. In the collection: “Liquid Metals” [in Russian], Moscow, Atomizdat (in the press).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Kh. Ibragimov, I. A. Isupov, and V. I. Subbotin, Calculation and Experimental Study of Velocity Fields in a Channel of Complex Shape. In the collection: “Liquid Metals” [in Russian], Moscow, Atomizdat (in the press).Google Scholar
- 8.I. Nikuradze, Ingr-Arch.,1, 306 (1930).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Leutheusser, Amer. Soc. Civil. Engineers, J. Hydraulics Division,89, (H4V-3), Pt. 1, 1 (1963).Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. D. Levchenko et al., Study of the Hydrodynamics of an Annular Gap with Longitudinal Fins. In the collection: “Liquid Metals” [in Russian], Moscow, Atomizdat (in the press).Google Scholar