Chemical composition,in vitro protein digestibility andin vitro available iron of blue green alga,Nostoc commune
- 148 Downloads
Blue-green alga,Nostoc commune, contained moderate amounts of protein and iron. Itsin vitro protein digestibility was 43–50%. The soluble and ionic iron from the alga was extractable to some extent at pH 1.5 but was not detectable at pH 8.0. The digestion by protease did not affect the iron detection. Heat processing at 100 and 120°C failed to increase the digestibility and the content of available iron. The dietary fiber in the alga may be responsible for low protein digestion and low iron availability.
Key wordsavailable iron blue green alga dietary fiber Nostoc commune protein digestibility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anusuya MD, Venkataraman LV (1984) Functional properties of protein products of mass cultivated blue-green algaSpirulina platensis. J Food Sci 49: 24–27Google Scholar
- AOAC (1970) Official methods of analysis. Washington, DC: Association of Official Analytical ChemistsGoogle Scholar
- Chawla S, Saxena A, Seshadri S (1988) In vitro availability of iron in various green leafy vegetables. J Sci Food Agric 46: 125–127Google Scholar
- Divakaran S, Duerr EO (1987) Characteristics of a blue-green alga (Spirulina platensis) preserved by acidulation with sulfuric acid. J Agric Food Chem 35: 568–570Google Scholar
- Hori K, Okita T (1989) Chemical forms of iron in commercial soy sauce and the soy sauce fortified with iron salts. J Consumer Studies Home Econ 13: 213–218Google Scholar
- Ikeda K, Oku M, Kusano T, Yasumoto K (1986) Inhibitory potency of plant antinutrients towards the in vitro digestibility of buckwheat protein. J Food Sci 51: 1527–1530Google Scholar
- Mori B, Kusima K, Iwasaki T, Omiya H (1981) Dietary fiber content of seaweed. Nippon Nogeikagaku Kaishi 55: 787–791Google Scholar
- Taguchi K, Kawabata M, Ohtsuki K, Tanaka Y (1986) Changes in dietary fiber of natto and tempeh during fermentation. Nippon Eiyo Shokuryo Gakkaishi 39: 203–208Google Scholar
- Van Soet PJ, Wine RH (1967) Use of detergents in the analysis of fibrous feeds. Determination of plant cell wall constituents. J Assoc Off Anal Chem 50: 50–55Google Scholar