Influence of electrodic properties on water management in a solid polymer electrolyte fuel cell
- 83 Downloads
The water transport in a solid polymer electrolyte fuel cell (SPEFC) can be regulated by varying the amount of hydrophobic agent (polyfluoroethylenepropylene) in the gas diffusion layer of the anode, which controls the ionic resistance as well as the gas diffusion in the cell. It has been found that at high water transport the ionic resistance of the electrolyte is lower, while gas diffusion is hindered by the presence of a high water content. A maximum in the cell performance is obtained at intermediate water transport, when the ionic resistance is reasonably low and the mass transport phenomena become negligible. Prototech electrodes, which are morphologically different from ours, also showed a low ionic resistance at low water transport.
KeywordsPolymer Water Management High Water Mass Transport Transport Phenomenon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. L. Fales, T. E. Springer, N. E. Vanderborgh and P. Stroeve, Proceedings of the Symposium on Engineering of Industrial Electrolytic Processes,86-8 (1986).Google Scholar
- A. Eisenberg and H. L. Yeager, Eds., Perfluorinated Ionomer Membranes, Amer. Chem. Soc. Symposium Series N 180, Washington DC (1982).Google Scholar
- C. Fabiani, S. Scuppa, L. Bimbi and M. De Francesco,J. Electrochem. Soc. 130 (1983) 583.Google Scholar
- C. Fabiani, G. Scibona and B. Scuppa,J. Memb. Sci. 16 (1983) 51.Google Scholar
- H. Koch, A. Nandi, N. K. Anand, O. Velev, D. H. Swan, S. Srinivasan and A. J. Appleby, Ext. Abstract N 115 Electrochemical Society, Seattle (1990).Google Scholar
- T. Springer, S. Gottesfeld, S. Randzinski and T. Zawodzinski, Ext. Abstract N 118, Electrochemical Society, Seattle (1990).Google Scholar
- S. Gottesfeld, ‘Fuel Cell for Renewable Applications’, in K. Kinoshita (ed.) Technological Base Research Project for Electrochemical Energy Storage: Annual report 1989, May 1990.Google Scholar
- G. E. Eisman, Proceedings of the 136th Electrochem Society Meeting Boston, MA (1986) Abstract 449.Google Scholar
- C. R. Derouin, J. Pafford, S. Radzinsky, T. E. Springer and S. Gottesfeld, Proceedings of the 175th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Los Angeles CA, Abstract No. 627.Google Scholar
- R. W. Lindstrom,US Patent 4 647 359, March 1987.Google Scholar
- E. A. Ticianelli, C. R. Derouin, A. Redondo and S. Srinivasan,J. Electrochem. Soc. 135 (1988) 2209.Google Scholar