Tannins in utilization of sorghum grains in Burkina Faso
- 48 Downloads
The study of thirty sorghum varieties used for food in Burkina Faso showed a relationship between tannin level and utilization of sorghum grain. High tannin level varieties (more than 0.2%) are generally used for local alcoholic drink, instead low tannin level varieties (under 0.2%) are used for cooking and for non fermented drinks.
Key wordsSorghum Tannins
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Méthode de référence pour le dosage des tannins (1984) J Officiel des Communautés Eur. L197: 18–20.Google Scholar
- 2.Hahn DH, Rooney LW, Earp CF (1984) Tannins and phenols of sorghum. Cereal Food World 29: 776–779.Google Scholar
- 3.Sereme A, Kouda-Bonafos M, Nacro M (1993) Phenolic compounds inSorghum caudatum tissues during plant development. Biomass and Bioenergy 4(1): 69–71.Google Scholar
- 4.Friend J (1979) Phenolic substances and plant diseases. Biochem Plant Phenolics 12: 557–588.Google Scholar
- 5.Stair DW, Hussey MA, Waniska RD (1987) Inhibition of cellulase activity. Agro Abstr 146.Google Scholar
- 6.Mullins JT, Lee JH (1991) Interactions of tannins with enzymes: A potential role in the reduced rate of ethanol fermentation from high-tannin biomass. Biomass and Bioenergy 1(6): 355–361.Google Scholar
- 7.Mullins JT, NeSmith CC (1987) Acceleration of the rate of ethanol fermentation by addition of nitrogen in high tannin grain sorghum. Biotechnol Bioengin 30: 1073–1076.Google Scholar
- 8.Mullins JT, NeSmith CC (1988) Nitrogen levels and yeast viability during ethanol fermentation of grain sorghum containing condensed tannins. Biomass 16: 77–87.Google Scholar