The older lesbian
- 51 Downloads
This research uncovers a pattern of support and the existence of a relationship network that runs strongly counter to the stereotyped view that lesbians in later life find themselves friendless and without support. The hypothesis that the older lesbian has developed friendship networks to replace missing or weak kin ties is substantiated. The findings are based on 20 in-depth, structured interviews with lesbians whose ages range from 50 to 73.
KeywordsSocial Policy Social Issue Structure Interview Relationship Network Friendship Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BLAU, Z. (1973) Old Age in a Changing Society. New York: New Viewpoints.Google Scholar
- DRESSEL, P. and W. R. AVANT (1978) “Neogamy and older persons: an examination of alternatives for intimacy in the later years.” Alternative Lifestyles (February): 13–36.Google Scholar
- GAGNON, J. and W. SIMON (1967) “The lesbians: a preliminary overview,” pp. 247–282 in Sexual Deviance. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- LANER, M. (1979) “Growing older female: heterosexuality and homosexuality.” J. of Homosexuality, 4 (Spring).Google Scholar
- LOWENTHAL, M. and C. HAVEN (1968) “Interaction and adaptation: intimacy as a critical variable,” Amer. Soc. Rev. 33: 20–30.Google Scholar
- RAPHAEL, S. (1974) “Coming out: the emergence of the movement lesbian.” Ph.D. dissertation. Cleveland: Case Western Reserve University.Google Scholar
- ROBINSON, M. (1979) “The older lesbian.” M.A. thesis. Los Angeles: California State University, Dominguez Hills.Google Scholar
- ROSOW, I. (1967) Social Integration of the Aged. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- STEHOUWER, J. (1968) “The household and family relations of old people," pp. 177–226 in E. Shanas, P. Townsend et al. (eds.) Old People in Three Industrial Societies. New York: Atherton.Google Scholar
- VERWOERDT, A., E. PFEIFFER, and H. S. WANG (1969) “Sexual behavior in senescence.” Geriatrics 24 (February): 137–153.Google Scholar
- WOLF, D. (1978) “Close friendship patterns of older lesbians.” Presented at Gerontological Society meetings, Dallas, November.Google Scholar