The impact of Antioch education through experience abroad
- 79 Downloads
Participants in a program of living, studying, and working abroad in the 1960's consider this in retrospect to have been one of the most important experiences they ever had. A preliminary analysis of questionnaire data indicates, along with academic outcomes, a significant impact upon subsequent behavior. Educational and job decisions were influenced, as well as thinking about values and American identity. It appears that the more a program overseas encourages involvement in other cultures in a variety of roles, with work experience prominent among them, the more we can expect enduring attitudinal and behavioral outcomes.
KeywordsAmerican Identity Social Psychology Work Experience Preliminary Analysis Behavioral Outcome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abrams, Irwin. An Interim Report on Antioch's Education Abroad.Clearing house of studies in higher education, special reports, OE 50009, Office of Education, Washington, DC, April 1969, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Churchill, Ruth.The effect of Antioch Education Abroad on students' attitudes, mimeographed publication of the Testing Office, Antioch College, 1960.Google Scholar
- Clark, Burton R.The distinctive college: Antioch, Reed, and Swarthmore. Chicago, 1970.Google Scholar
- Hayden, Rose Lee.Non-formal education: towards reinforcing and extending internation education. Mimeographed document, no date.Google Scholar
- Keeton, Morris T. and Associates.Experiential learning, rationale, characteristics, and assessments. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1976.Google Scholar
- Office of Antioch Education Abroad.Antioch Education Abroad Manual. Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, 1962.Google Scholar
- Oldt, Esther A. Antioch Education Abroad: An Evaluation,Antioch College Reports, No. 10, May, 1969.Google Scholar
- Sanders, Irwin T. and Ward, Jennifer C.Bridges to understanding international programs of American colleges and universities. Third of a series of profiles sponsored by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education. New York. 1970.Google Scholar
- Sparks, Lois R. and Oldt, Esther A.Antioch students look back. mimeographed, April, 1967.Google Scholar