The transfer of ketorolac tromethamine from maternal to foetal blood
- 29 Downloads
Thirty two women who were participating in an efficacy study comparing 10 mg ketorolac with 50 mg or 100 mg of pethidine in the relief of labour pain, underwent sampling of vein blood, for determination of plasma ketorolac concentrations. The sample was withdrawn at delivery and a sample of umbilical cord blood was withdrawn at the same time. The ratio of ketorolac concentrations in the cord blood sample: the maternal venous sample were calculated and plotted against the time elapsed between drug administration and sampling.
Samples for one patient, withdrawn 24 min after dosing, had ketorolac concentrations below the quantification limit. The ratios in the remaining patients were all low and showed a tendency to increase with time. The mean ratio was 0.116 with a range of 0.04 in 2 patients, at 43 min and 1 h 6 min, to 0.25 at 6 h 34 min.
Key wordsketorolac maternal foetal drug transfer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yee JP, Koshiver JE, Allbon C, Brown CR (1986) Comparison of intramuscular ketorolac tromethamine and morphine sulphate for analgesia of pain after major surgery. Pharmacotherapy 6: 253–261Google Scholar
- 2.Brandon-Bravo LJC, Mattie H, Spierdijk J, Bovill JG, Burm AGL (1988) Ventilatory effect of ketorolac: Comparison with morphine. Eur J Clin Pharmacol (in press)Google Scholar
- 3.Wu A, Huang B, Massey I (1987) Analysis of ke torolac in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography and UV detection. (AMC method 015). Syntex Database, Palo Alto, USAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Wilson CM, McClean E, Moore J, Dundee JW (1986) A double-blind comparison of intramuscular pethidine and nalbuphine in labour. Anaesthesia 41: 1207–1213Google Scholar
- 5.Kanto J (1986) Obstetric analgesia. Clinical pharmacokinetic considerations. Clin Pharmacokinet 11: 283–298Google Scholar
- 6.Wilson SJ, Errick JK, Balkon J (1986) Pharmacokinetics of nalbuphine during parturition. Am J Obstet Gynecol 155: 340–344Google Scholar
- 7.Mroszczak EJ, Ling T, Yee J, Massey I (1985) Ketorolac tromethamine absorption and pharmacokinetics in humans. Clin Pharmacol Ther 37: 215Google Scholar