Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of allyl, crotyl and cinnamyl alcohol by chromium(V)
- 58 Downloads
The kinetics of oxidation of unsaturated alcoholsviz. allyl, crotyl and cinnamyl alcohol by sodium bis[2-ethyl-2-hydroxy butanoato (2−)] oxochromate(V) Crv, has been investigated in 25% (v/v) aq. HOAc:HClO4. The order in [oxidant] and [substrate] was 1.0 and 0.7 respectively. The oxidation rate increased with increase in [2-ethyl-2-hydroxybutyric acid] (EHBA) and decreased with increase in the percentage of HOAc. The rate decreases slightly with increase in [H_]. The unsaturated alcohols exhibited higher reactivity compared to their saturated analogues. A mechanism involving the formation of a complex between Crv and alcohol which in turn disproportionates into products in a slow step is advanced to explain the kinetic results.
KeywordsOxidation Sodium Alcohol Chromium Inorganic Chemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).M. Krumpolc and J. Rocek,J. Am. Chem. Soc.,101, 3206 (1979).Google Scholar
- (2).S. Edwin Gould,Acc. Chem. Res.,19(3), 66 (1986).Google Scholar
- (3).G. Sreelatha, M. Prasada Rao, B. Sethuram and T. Navaneeth Rao,Indian J. Chem.,27A, 1031 (1988).Google Scholar
- (4).H. Land and W. A. Waters,J. Chem. Soc., 2129 (1958).Google Scholar
- (5).B. Sethuram,Curr. Sci. (India),35, 254 (1966).Google Scholar
- (6).K. Ganapathy and B. Vijayan,J. Indian Chem. Soc.,55, 957 (1978).Google Scholar
- (7).J. R. Jones and W. A. Waters,J. Chem. Soc., 2068 (1962).Google Scholar
- (8).M. Krumpolc and J. Rocek,Inorg. Chem.,24, 617 (1985).Google Scholar
- (9).R. K. Dwivedi, M. Verma, P. Kumar and K. Behari,Tetrahedron,39, 815 (1983).Google Scholar