The synoptic meaning of helicity
- 112 Downloads
Helicity, a scalar quantity resulting from the inner product of velocity and vorticity, has until now mostly been used in the field of mesoscale meteorology and boundary layer meteorology. Goals of this paper are the derivation of the flux form of the helicity equation in general form without neglection of friction and Coriolis force and the examination of helicity patterns of larger scales. The general helicity equation is approximated for the synoptic and frontal scale by use of the scale analysis. High helicity values are bounded to fronts, such that helicity determines their positions. Finally the helicity patterns at different heights and helicity sources and sinks are discussed for a case study of a cyclogenesis over the Atlantic.
KeywordsClimate Change Waste Water Boundary Layer Water Management Vorticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Etling, D., 1985: Some aspects of helicity in atmospheric flows.Contrib. Atmos. Phys.,58, 88–100.Google Scholar
- Hauf, T., 1985: Rotating clouds within cloud streeds.Contrib. Atmos. Phys.,58, 380–398.Google Scholar
- Lilly, D. K., 1986: The structure, energetics and propagation of rotating convective storms. Part II: Helicity and storm stabilisation.J. Atmos. Sci.,43, 126–140.Google Scholar
- Pichler, H., 1997:Dynamik der Atmosphäre. Heidelberg: Akademischer Verlag “Spektrum”, 3. Auflage.Google Scholar
- Pichler, H., Schaffhauser, A., 1996: The helicity structure of orographically modified fronts.Proceedings of ICAM 1996, Bled, Slovenia, 93–98.Google Scholar
- Pichler, H., Schaffhauser, A., 1997: Helicity and fronts modified by the Alps.MAP newsletter,7, 104–105.Google Scholar
- Schaffhauser, A., 1996: Zur Helizität in der synoptischen Skala. Thesis, Department of Meteorology and Geophysics, University of Innsbruck, Austria (77 pages, in German).Google Scholar
- Wu, W. S., Lilly, D. K., Kerr, R. M., 1992: Helicity and thermal convection with shear,J. Atmos. Sci.,49, 1800–1809.Google Scholar
- Tan, Z., Wu, R., 1994: Helicity dynamics of atmospheric flow.Adv. Atmos. Sci.,11, 175–188.Google Scholar