The sampling distribution of theW statistic of disjunction for the arbitrary division of a random rectangular distribution
The sampling distribution of the Wstatistic of disjunction has been estimated by Monte Carlo simulation for the case where the underlying distribution is a random rectangular (Poisson) variable that is divided into two groups at an arbitrary position. A transformation to sinh −1 log e Wgave a variable that was acceptably normal, and from this a simple approximation for the distribution is given, together with a diagram of confidence limits of Wfor this case.
Key wordscluster analysis significance tests overlap measures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Croxton, F. H., 1953, Elementary statistics with applications in medicine and the biological sciences: Dover Publications, New York, 376 p.Google Scholar
- Hartigan, J. A., 1978, Asymptotic distributions for clustering criteria: Ann. Stat., v. 6, p. 117–131.Google Scholar
- Hogben, D., Pinkham, F. S., and Wilk, M. B., 1961, The moments of the non-centralt-distribution: Biometrika, v. 48, p. 465–468.Google Scholar
- Johnson, N. L. and Welch, B. L., 1939, Applications of the non-centralt-distribution: Biometrika, v. 31, p. 362–389.Google Scholar
- Sneath, P. H. A., 1977, A method for testing the distinctness of clusters: a test of the disjunction of two clusters in Euclidean space as measured by their overlap: J. Int. Assoc. Math. Geol., v. 9, p. 123–143.Google Scholar
- Sneath, P. H. A., 1979, BASIC program for a significance test for two clusters in Euclidean space as measured by their overlap: Computers & Geosciences, in press.Google Scholar
- Welch, B. L., 1947, The generalization of ‘Student's’ problem when several different population variances are involved: Biometrika, v. 34, p. 28–35.Google Scholar