Aerodynamic characteristics of an element of surface washed by a high-speed free-molecular flow
An analysis is presented of the dependence of local aerodynamic coefficients on the angle of attack for surfaces covered by an adsorbed layer, for a flow velocity of ≈10 km/sec. The analysis is based on comparison of coefficients calculated for diffuse reflection and experimental data on momentum transfer between the flow and the surface, and with the assumed quasispecular reflection in which the velocity of the reflected particles depends on the angle of attack. It is shown that the quasispecular case is a more accurate approximation in comparison with the diffuse case.
KeywordsExperimental Data Reflection Flow Velocity Accurate Approximation Momentum Transfer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. E. Cook, “Satellite drag coefficients,∝ Planet. Space Sci.,13, No. 10 (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Moe, “Recent experimental evidence bearing on satellite drag coefficients,∝ AIAA J.,6, No. 7 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.V. P. Shidlovskii, Introduction to Rarefied Gasdynamics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.G. K. Varakin and V. G. Farafonov, “Use of the diffuse reflection model in free-molecular flow at a speed of 10 km/sec,∝ Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 5 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.R. O. Doughty and W. J. Schaltzle, “Experimental determination of momentum accommodation coefficients at velocities up to and exceeding earth escape velocity,∝ in: Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York-London (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.E. D. Knechtel and W. C. Pitt, “Experimental momentum accommodation on metal surfaces of ions near and above earth satellite speeds,∝ in: Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York-London (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.D. D. Gruich, G. E. Ermakov, and U. A. Arifov, “Investigation of secondary ion emission from W and Mo as a function of angle of incidence of slow alkali metal ions,∝ in: Interaction of a Gas with a Solid Surface [in Russian], Inst. Teor. i Prikl. Mekh., Sibirsk. Otd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Novosibirsk (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.U. Arifov, Interaction of Atomic Particles with a Solid Surface [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar