Development of the region of a turbulized liquid in a stratified medium
- 21 Downloads
The article discusses the plane unsteady-state problem of the development of a region of turbulent pulsations in an incompressible stratified liquid. At the initial moment of time, the energy of the turbulence is given inside a region of finite dimensions. A semiempirical system of equations describing this process is proposed. The article gives the data from numerical calculations, illustrating the original expansion of the region as a result of turbulent diffusion, its subsequent compression along a vertical (“collapse”) under the action of the forces of buoyancy, and the internal waves generated by the collapse.
KeywordsNumerical Calculation Internal Wave Turbulent Diffusion Initial Moment Finite Dimension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wu Jin, “Mixed region collapse with internal wave generation in a density stratified medium,” J. Fluid Mech.,35, No. 3, 531–541 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.W. R. Wessel, “Numerical study of the collapse of a perturbation in an infinite density stratified fluid,” Phys. Fluids,12, No. 2, 170–176 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.H. Padmanabhan, W. F. Ames, J. F. Kennedy, and Hung Tin-Kan, “A numerical investigation of wake deformation in density stratified fluids,” J. Engng. Math.,4, No. 3, 229–241 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.C. C. Mei, “Collapse of a homogeneous fluid mass in a stratified fluid,” Proc. 12-th Internat. Congress Appl. Mech, Stanford Univ. (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.A. H. Schooley and B. A. Hughes, “An experimental and theoretical study of internal waves generated by the collapse of a two-dimensional mixed region in a density gradient,” J. Fluid. Mech.,51, No. 1, 159–175 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.R. C. Y. Koh, “Transition motions induced by local disturbances in linearly density-stratified fluid,” J. Hydraulic Res.,9, No. 3, 335–353 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.R. I. Hartman and H. W. Lewis, “Wake collapse in a stratified fluid: linear treatment,” J. Fluid. Mech.,51, No. 3, 613–618 (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.A. H. Schooley, “Wave collapse in a stratified fluid,” Science,157, No. 3787, 421–423 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.N. N. Yanenko, The Method of Fractional Spacings in the Solution of Multidimensional Problems in Mathematic Physics [in Russian], Izd. Nauka, Novosibirsk (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.E. Naudascher, “Flow in the wake of self-propelled bodies and related sources of turbulence,” J. Fluid Mech.,22, No. 4, 625–656 (1965).Google Scholar