Linear stability in the flow of a liquid film concurrent with a gas flow
- 31 Downloads
The two-phase flow of liquid films are often encountered in practice, but the number of theoretical papers devoted to this problem is limited. The problem of the linear stability of a viscous liquid film subjected to a gas flow has been formulated in  and, in somewhat different form, in . The linear stability of plane-parallel motion in films has been studied analytically in [1–8] for some limiting cases. The range of validity of the analytic approaches remains an open question. Therefore, an exact numerical analysis of flow stability over a fairly broad range is required. In the present paper a separate solution of the problem for the gas and the liquid is shown to be possible. The Orr-Sommerfeld equation has been integrated numerically, and the results are compared to the results of analytic calculations.
KeywordsAnalytic Approach Analytic Calculation Liquid Film Linear Stability Viscous Liquid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Feldman, “On the hydrodynamic stability of two viscous incompressible fluids in parallel uniform shearing motion,” J. Fluid Mech.,2, 343 (1957).Google Scholar
- 2.A. A. Zaitsev, “Stability of a viscous film on a solid and under a gas flow,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,130, No. 6 (1960).Google Scholar
- 3.J. W. Miles, “The hydrodynamic stability of a thin film of a liquid in uniform shearing motion,” J. Fluid Mech.,8, 593 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.A. D. Craic, “Wind-generated waves in thin liquid films,” J. Fluid Mech.26, 369 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.A. D. Craic, “Wind-generated waves in contaminated liquid films,” J. Fluid Mech.,31, 141 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.L. S. Cohen and T. J. Hanratty, “Generation of waves in the concurrent flow of air and a liquid,” AIChE J.,31, 467 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.L. V. Lyubutskaya, “Stability of the plane parallel flow of a viscous liquid subjected to shearing stress and an oblique force of gravity,” Zh. Vychisl. Mat. Mat. Fiz., 1139 (1961).Google Scholar
- 8.V. Ya. Shkadov, “Waves generated on the surface of a viscous heavy liquid subjected to shearing stress,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 3, 133 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.T. B. Benjamin, “Shearing flow over a wavy boundary,” J. Fluid Mech.,6, 161 (1959).Google Scholar