Extraction of intersexual chemoattractants fromSchistosoma mansoni
- 29 Downloads
FemaleSchistosoma mansoni and their excretory-secretory (ES) products were extracted with a series of solvents to provide fractions of varying polarity. These fractions were assayed for chemoattractivity to males in vitro. One major component of these mixtures was found to be nonattractive and was identified as cholesterol.n-Pentane- and ether-soluble fractions derived from ES products exhibited chemoattractive activity comparable to that possessed by whole-worm extracts, but appeared to be simpler mixtures.
Key wordsSchistosoma mansoni intersexual chemoattractivity cholesterol excretory-secretory products
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bone, L.W., andShorey, H.H. 1977, Disruption of sex pheromone communication in a nematode.Science 197:694–695.Google Scholar
- Bone, L.W., Shorey, H.H., andGaston, L.K. 1977, Sexual attraction and pheromonal dosage response ofNippostrongylus brasiliensis.J. Parasitol. 63:357–363.Google Scholar
- Childs, J.E., Shirazian, D., Gloer, J.B., andSchiller, E.L. 1986. In vitro orientation of maleSchistosoma mansoni to extracts derived from female schistosomes.J. Chem. Ecol. 12:1729–1738.Google Scholar
- Fried, B., andRobinson, G.A. 1981. Pairing and aggregation ofAmblosoma suwaense (Trematoda: Brachylaimidae) Metacercariaein vitro and partial characterization of lipids involved in chemoattraction.Parasitology 82:225–229.Google Scholar
- Fried, B., Tancer, R.B., andFleming, S.J. 1980.In vitro pairing ofEchinostoma revolutum (Trematoda) Metacercariae and adults and characterization of worm products involved in chemoattraction.J. Parasitol. 66:1014–1018.Google Scholar
- Shiller, E.L., Bueding, E., Turner, V.M. andFisher, J. 1975. Aerobic and anaerobic carbohydrate metabolism and egg production ofSchistosoma mansoni in vitro.J. Parasitol. 61:385–389.Google Scholar
- Shirazian, D., andSchiller, E.L. 1982. Mating recognition bySchistosoma mansoni in vitro.J. Parasitol. 68:650–652.Google Scholar
- Shirazian, D., Childs, J.E., Hawkins, J., andSchiller, E.L. 1986. Mating preference inSchistosoma mansoni.J. Chem. Ecol. 12:1713–1723.Google Scholar