Multiple scattering in random media
The paper is an application of a general microscopic approach to the theory of the average scattering matrix for a particle interacting with random scatterers. We present a detailed treatment for the case of uncorrelated positions of the scatterers. First, the general two-body additive approximation is used to truncate the hierarchy of correlation functions for fluctuations. It is shown that the self-energy is accurate through the fourth power of the individual scattering amplitude. Second, the hierarchy is terminated at the next stage. The self-energy is correct to the sixth power of the scattering amplitude.
Key wordsMultiple scattering random media
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. P. Gross,J. Stat. Phys. 25:585 (1981) (previous paper in this issue).Google Scholar
- 2.J. F. Klauder,Ann. Phys. (N.Y.) 14:43 (1961).Google Scholar
- 3.I. M. Lifshitz,Sov. Phys.—usp. 7:549 (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.B. I. Halperin and M. Lax,Phys. Rev. 148:722 (1966);153:802 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Zittarz and J. S. Langer,Phys. Rev. 148:741 (1966).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Friedberg and J. M. Luttinger,Phys. Rev. B 12:4460 (1975); V. Samathiyakanit,J. Phys. C 7:2849 (1974); E. P. Gross,J. Stat. Phys. 17:265 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.H. L. Frisch and S. P. Lloyd,Phys. Rev. 120:1175 (1960).Google Scholar