On the initial layer solution of the Boltzmann equation with small Knudsen number
- 39 Downloads
We extend our method of systematic removal of secular terms in a singular perturbation treatment of the Boltzmann equation with small Knudsen numbers to the initial layer. The requirement that the solution through the initial layer should connect smoothly to the normal solution removes an ambiguity noted in our previous paper. We show that removal of secular terms improves Grad's solution for the initial layer and reintroduces soundlike modes associated with higher moments, first found by Wang Chang and Uhlenbeck.
Key wordsBoltzmann equation “initial layer” relaxation singular perturbation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. J. Ding and Z. Q. Huang,J. Stat. Phys., this issue, preceding paper.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Grad,Phys. Fluids 6:147 (1963).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Hilbert,Math. Ann. 72:562 (1912).Google Scholar
- 4.C. S. Wang Chang and G. E. Uhlenbeck, The kinetic theory of gases, inStudies in Statistical Mechanics, Vol. V, J. de Boer and G. E. Uhlenbeck, eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1970).Google Scholar
- 5.C. Cercignani,Theory and Application of the Boltzmann Equation (Scottish Academic Press, Edinburgh, 1975).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Ikenberry and C. Truesdell,J. Rat. Mech. Anal. 5:1 (1956).Google Scholar