Sex pheromone components of purple stem borerSesamia inferens (Walker)
The pheromone of the female purple stem borer,Z-11-hexadecenyl acetate, identified by Nesbitt, was not active in field trapping in China. From EAG, TLC, GC, and GC-MS tests, we found thatZ-11-hexadecenyl acetate,Z-11-hexadecenol, andZ-11-hexadecenal were the pheromone components, and the preferred blend ratio in field tests was 4∶1∶0.1. The number of captures of the later generations was substantially lower than that of the overwintered generation.
Key wordsSesamia inferens Lepidoptera Noctuidae purple stem borer sex pheromone Z-11-hexadecenyl acetate Z-11-hexadecenol Z-11-hexadecenal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ando, T., Kishino, K., Tatsuki, S., andTakahashi, N. 1980. Sex pheromone of the rice green caterpillar: Chemical identification of three components and field tests with synthetic pheromones.Agric. Biol. Chem. 44(4):765–775.Google Scholar
- Beroza, M., andBierl, B.A. 1967. Rapid determination of olefin position in organic compounds in microgram range by ozonolysis and gas chromatography.Anal. Chem. 39(10):1131–1135.Google Scholar
- Bierl-Leonhardt, B.A., DeVilbiss, E.D., and PLimmer, J.R. 1980. Location of double-bond position in long-chain aldehydes and acetates by mass spectral analysis of epoxide derivatives.J. Chromatogr. Sci. 18(8):364–367.Google Scholar
- Jiangsu Institute of Pheromones. 1981. Sex attractant ofSesamia inferens.Kunchong Jisu (Insect Horm.) 2:48–51.Google Scholar
- Li, Huogou, andWen, Fangsheng. 1983. Field distribution survey of larvalSesamia inferens.Kunchong Zhishi (Popular Entomol.). 20(6):251–256.Google Scholar
- Nesbitt, B.F., Beevor, P.S., Hall, D.R., Lester, R., Dyck, V.A. 1976. Identification of the female sex pheromone of the purple stem borer moth,Sesamia inferens.Insect Biochem. 6(1):105–107.Google Scholar
- Nesbitt, B.F., Beevor, P.S., Hall, D.R., Lester, R., andWilliams, J.R. 1980. Components of the sex pheromone of the female sugar cane borer,Chilo sacchariphagus (Bojer) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae), identification and field trials.J. Chem. Ecol. 6(2):385–394.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, S. 1983. Simultaneous attraction of three armyworm species to the synthetic sex pheromone of the rice armyworm,Pseudaletia separata (Walker).Mem. Coll. Agric., Kyoto Univ. 122:37–41.Google Scholar